Battery type for a 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcraft was used for all of the 1973 Mustangs.

Motorcraft for 73. Group size 24F was used for just about all applications. Ford used 27F for big blocks and cars with heavy electrical loads. The 24F probably has as much cold crank amps now as the 27F did "Back in the Day", so it should be fine for your Q code and AC.

Motorcraft for 73. Group size 24F was used for just about all applications. Ford used 27F for big blocks and cars with heavy electrical loads. The 24F probably has as much cold crank amps now as the 27F did "Back in the Day", so it should be fine for your Q code and AC.
Mine came with the heavy duty battery so would that have been the 27 F?

John J

Mine came with the heavy duty battery so would that have been the 27 F?

John J

If your car came with the HD battery option it more than likely had the 27F. I would still check the crank amps between the 24F and the 27 series battery. Like I posted earlier the 24F today probably has as much power as the 27 that came in your car in 73. Motorcraft does have a great warranty. (100 months with 36 months free replacement) I believe the prices are close between the two. The 27F is a slow mover and probably not stocked by many Ford dealers but they could get it from their Motorcraft Distributor. I needed one for a 70 428 SCJ Mach 1 and had it in about a week. I tend to ramble on sometimes so I hope somewhere in all this you've found some info you can use.:)

Back