tapping sound after warm up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
Hey guys, I bought a 351c 2v fully rebuilt from a respectable ford fan who has like 12 cars, couple fully finished. Well I checked the motor out ,it has mild cam rebuilt heads new lifters bearings and so on, once rebuilt it sat for about 10 years before dropped it in my car last year. It made tapping sound all the time at first, so I thought that it has solid lifters but no I checked it has hydraulic lifters. Now it starts up smooth, but after driving a block its starts tapping. Could it be that one of the lifter went bad due to storage? Oil pressure is perfect, rockers are tight & aren't adjustable. If I just change the lifters only, will that ruin the lubes on the cam? It has RV cam, is that like a mild cam? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the engine sat for ten years and was then started the assembly lube may have gone bye bye. Was the cam broken in properly on initial start up? My guess is you probably have one or more flat cam lobes and/or damaged lifters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the RV cam is mild, they are designed to build torque. Remove the rocker covers and look for the amount of travel @ each rocker / valve spring. Compare the travel for all the exhaust valves then the intakes, they are most likely different. If you find 1 or more that do not move the same amount you have a wiped cam. Look for oil coming from each pushrod / rocker. Check the rockers when the valves are closed, you should not have any clearance in between the valve and rocker. Also some old school builders would shim the rocker stands to reduce the amount of preload on the lifter. I hope this helps.

Guys, thanks for your input. Found liters were either stuck or bad, replaced them all, adjusted the timing. Car is quiet as it can be & runs smoother.

Thanks again guys.

Just makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside, eh Doc? LOL!!

Congrats on getting your noise squared away - glad it wasn't too serious!

Back