Changing to Weld racing wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Before I had planned to put a crazy engine in, I bought some cheap Jegs draglite copies. They look great, but, I kinda wrecked one. Most likely my fault. the 408W , being able to dump a clutch, combined with ET drag radials combined with normal acorn lugs apparently is a bad combo. Ordered a pair of rear weld racing drag lites, the correct lugs (not sure the name, the ones that go through the rim and then a washer) and a set of ARP studs.

I had 10" rims with 5.5 BS, which I was never happy with as they stuck out a bit far (not quite at fender edge). I ordered 9" welds, with the same BS, so going in .5 inch will be perfect.

The question I have is the front. I will switch to Weld fronts when funds allow. I was even less pleased with my front wheel/tire choice. Tire looks too small and skinny (235/60/15), and the rim sits way too far in (7" rim with 4.00 BS, clears spindle).

I was thinking a 7" front with 3.5 BS and either a 245 or 255/60 tire.

If I go 255, should I be getting an 8" rim?

Welds' don't have even BS, just odd numbers. I am concerned that an 8" rim with 3.5 would be too much, and from what I have read a 4.5 will whack into everything on the inside.

This is my car with the fronts being 245/60/15 BFG's on 15x8 Pro Stars having 4.5" of backspacing. They fit really well and the only rubbing was very slight to the bolt heads that hold the power steering box to the subframe at full left lock. So slight I pay it no mind.

Mach1016.jpg

Mach%201%20014_zpskcimz7yh.jpg

Mach%201%20018_zps3kxfimqr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
15x10's with 6.5" of backspace and 295/50/15's. I had these wheels on for a few years before swapping them for identical sized Magnum 500's.

Back