Weather Issues (venting)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I don't know if you've been watching the weather much, but we've been getting slammed with water the past few days/week... with more on the way. It rained a solid 5" last night - our pool came up from "a little high," to "1 inch from the edge." Our 'normal' average annual rainfall is [allegedly] around 18", which we consistently fall short by a few inches every year.

Normally, I'd welcome the rain, but in West Texas it tends to show up in mass quantities, and almost always in its "frozen concentrate" form, a.k.a. hail.

It's all my fault, of course, as I washed my truck on the way home from work last night. :dodgy: It started raining last night around 9:30PM and pounded us for a couple hours - we were shop-vaccing the hallway bathroom around 11:30PM because Texans don't know how to build houses (they put "weep" holes every 3rd mortar gap where the bricks meet the foundation for moisture drainage... which lets in bugs, water, and whatever else... - it's the freaken desert - the walls don't sweat, trust me). Also because of that poor design, the Mustang got its feet wet sitting in the garage as well (they're both on the same side of the house).

When the hail started up, we kinda freaked a little and moved the furniture away from being directly under the skylights in the living room - we had a string of storms back in 2002 that totaled her Z-24, did $5500 damage to my old Ram, $4800 to her Grand Prix (after we just bought it to replace the Z-24), tore up the roof, broke the skylights and hailed in the living room - insurance company wrote us a $30K check that year, which is a helluva way to get your money back that I'd just as soon avoid having to do. Needless to say, we're a little gun shy when it comes to heavy weather coming around.

The neighborhood looks like a war zone: smaller tree branches broken off and laying in the streets, along with tons of leaves and even lots of mud and dirt being washed down the streets and alleys (forget the gutters). There's a low spot at the low-end of our alley that's a solid 3" of mud this morning.

I know this is nothing compared to the more severe weather seen to the north of us, where all of that mixed with tornados is tearing up the landscape, but it's unusual for us to have so much all at once. A lot of people hate El Nino, but I actually welcome the extra rain and cooler temps... just not all at once, please. We have more of the same projected to come through the rest of the week, of course. Yay.

So, how is everybody else fairing with the local weather?

(disclaimer: this is not an invitation to argue about climate change, global warming, or whatever it's called this week - just want to know if everybody's doing OK or having weather-related issues)

We get alot of weather like that here too, I've seen everything we own damaged by hail right before our eyes like the boat, camper, roof, the cars and everything else. I hate hail.

Mobile, where I live, flip-flops with Seattle as being the wettest city in the US. The difference being Seattle gets rain as a constant drizzle and Mobile gets it in Monsoon type rain events. It is not unheard of for us to get an 8 to 10-inch rain event in a 24hr period. Fun times when that happens. Usually we get 3 to 6-inch rainstorms on a very regular basis. Between the rainy days we have bright sunny days where it's still hot and wet which is nice when your with your lady but isn't much fun when outdoors. ;)

Hey Eric -

Here in northern Nevada it's typically a "Summer's here get the pool ready" time of year, with temps in the 70s and reaching to the 80's, with a rare thunderstorm or weird rain shower tossed in to raise the desert dust. This year, it's wacky. It has rained every day for the past week, and it's supposed to continue for the next week or more. Nothing dries out - mud everywhere.

I haven't had a chance to even mow the lawn because it won't dry out. Highs in the low- to mid- 60's on warm days, high 50's sometimes. We don't have the hail issues you're experiencing but the ground is constantly wet. I won't bitch much, because the drought situation around here is a major concern, but I'm with you in saying that the weather this year is absolutely wacked.

Wettest May on record for Phoenix but that only means an inch or so. We hit 103 a few weeks ago but since then the temp has been down and we don't expect to get back over 100 for another couple of weeks. Of course after that we will be 100+ until sometime in September or maybe October

Im up at the fishing lodge i work at doing some pre season work. I can only see about 300 yards of open water, the rest is still very solid ice. Hello Canada!

We've had the same issue here in central Texas and my parents have also in East Texas. I have been joking that I am adding oars to my truck. Oh and when Noah comes by, that old man better include two Mustangs on the boat!!

About weep holes. We need them in this part of t the state. It is not usual for us to have 80+% humidity.

Back