3 week build from a bucket of bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73QcodeMach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Matte Black Q code Ford Mustang Mach 1, 351C
stang 1.jpg

stang 2.jpg

stang 3.jpg

stang 4.jpg

stang 5.jpg

So here it is, I'm 18 and decided to go to the Senior Prom and my father and I built this car from the ground up in 3 weeks, it was a heck of a jorney. Its just a primer coat right now thinking about a Silver with black hood this fall when we get time to work on it again. What do you fellas think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

The Mustang looks great, very mean and aggressive with the matt black paint. That's also a great shot of you with the Mustang. BTW - what wheel and tire sizes are you running on the back? They look mean and big.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Welcome! Haven't been to Stickney's Garage in years. Hope Frank, Russ and Dave are doing well.
They are doing good, I'm friends with Russ's son Nate so we took a couple pictures there wasting time before Prom at Clarkson University.

Hi there,

The Mustang looks great, very mean and aggressive with the matt black paint. That's also a great shot of you with the Mustang. BTW - what wheel and tire sizes are you running on the back? They look mean and big.

Cheers,

Greg.:)
Thanks pal, they are 295 60r 15" I believe, they are what they call "50's". 235 cooper cobras in the front, I just bought air shocks so they will quit rubbing in the back when I have people in the car with me while hitting bumps.

Looking Good! Might want to drive it as it looks (bad-ass) for awhile while you decide on final paint scheme....
That's the plan, I cant wait to see my father's 1970 Torino Cobra done, but that will take more time because we are going all original with it.

Awesome-looking car! Love the "Centerlines!" ::thumb::

That's amazing for 3 weeks! You mentioned going with silver and black... are you planning on the factory Ford version of silver from the back in the day (Ford Light Pewter Metallic)? Or a more modern color. Mine is painted with the factory colors (except for the glossy TuTone, rather than flat/matte).

Yup... those would be 295/50R15s with about 4 1/2" of backspacing (ask me how I know ;) ):

attachment.php

FWIW - I found evidence of air shocks on mine when I was rebuilding it, and the previous owners had redneck-engineered the air shocks in, rather than repair the damage they'd caused - I'm thinking my car had some air time, based on the damage to the shock pockets in the rear crossmember, oil pan, and engine crossmember.

The other issues with air shocks are:

• ridiculously harsh ride when aired-up, but no load (nobody in the back seat)
  • you may not be able to air-up the shocks when you absolutely need to (people pile in, shocks are low, you might not find an adequate air source to inflate right away - most gas station/convenience store air sources will not provide the air pressure needed for the shocks)
  • mounting points will take damage when the shocks are aired-up to be 'harder' than stock
  • the air system will eventually begin to leak - you may come out one day to the rear end of the car drooping (compared to where you normally like it to ride)

If you haven't already, I would go with 5-leaf rear springs, and some Scott Drake 1" extended shackles. The 5-leaf packs were a factory option, and are a bunch stiffer than the stock 4-spring packs. The Scott Drake shackles offer about a half-inch of "lift" while maintaining a 'stock' shackle look.

Hope that helps - can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the info on the shocks it helps a ton! That's really funny that your car may of had air time reminds me of the Duke's of Hazzard.

Yes I also know about the "295/50R15s with about 4 1/2" of backspacing" on my car haha I guess a popular look on these cars.

DSCF2204.JPG

That's amazing for 3 weeks! You mentioned going with silver and black... are you planning on the factory Ford version of silver from the back in the day (Ford Light Pewter Metallic)? Or a more modern color. Mine is painted with the factory colors (except for the glossy TuTone, rather than flat/matte).

Yup... those would be 295/50R15s with about 4 1/2" of backspacing (ask me how I know ;) ):

attachment.php

FWIW - I found evidence of air shocks on mine when I was rebuilding it, and the previous owners had redneck-engineered the air shocks in, rather than repair the damage they'd caused - I'm thinking my car had some air time, based on the damage to the shock pockets in the rear crossmember, oil pan, and engine crossmember.

• you may not be able to air-up the shocks when you absolutely need to (people pile in, shocks are low, you might not find an adequate air source to inflate right away - most gas station/convenience store air sources will not provide the air pressure needed for the shocks)
  • mounting points will take damage when the shocks are aired-up to be 'harder' than stock
  • the air system will eventually begin to leak - you may come out one day to the rear end of the car drooping (compared to where you normally like it to ride)

If you haven't already, I would go with 5-leaf rear springs, and some Scott Drake 1" extended shackles. The 5-leaf packs were a factory option, and are a bunch stiffer than the stock 4-spring packs. The Scott Drake shackles offer about a half-inch of "lift" while maintaining a 'stock' shackle look.

Yeah, they are 50r's my bad, and matte black hood with the original sliver with the metallic is most likely what we are going to do.

attachment.php

Thanks for the info on the shocks it helps a ton! That's really funny that your car may of had air time reminds me of the Duke's of Hazzard.

Back