1971 Mach 1 in San Angelo, TX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
And No... it's not mine. rofl

http://sanangelo.craigslist.org/cto/5029819314.html

00E0E_7uKAOoNh9qJ_600x450.jpg

I'll be happy to contact the guy and check it out if anybody's interested. In fact, I might contact the guy and go look at it for S&Gs anyway. ;)

I ain't gonna lie - on first glance, I think it's a turd for the money... especially with a '73 standard grille and what appears to be "no engine at all" (all that airspace under the front fender openings and being on ramps says, "that engine got yanked," to me). The interior looks about as bad as mine did (meaning - everything needs to be replaced). I'm guessing it's an H-code or 302 car as well, considering it has a clock/speedo (no tach) instrument cluster.

I was telling my wife that one of my coworkers had told me about the ad, and was about to relay a funny story about one of my other coworkers drooling over my '71, but she stopped me and said, "Don't you even think about it!" So, yeah - "No Go" for me. :blush:

I did send an e-mail around the office with "Here's your chance to own your very own 1971 Mach 1 just like mine (was) for only $6000."

No takers in the office, apparently. rofl

$6000!

More like $1000...if there is a drivetrain.

We all love these cars, but sometimes we have to face reality: Even our beloved mach 1s do NOT generally carry the collector-values that other Mustangs do. Especially if there is nothing special about the drivetrain.

R codes are worth a ton, as are J and C codes.

Q codes are fairly desirable if in the right car, but an F-code 302, or a 351-2V (H-code, I think?) Who cares about those? Putting in a non-numbers matching engine in a car like that will not increase it's true collector value.

I would pass on that car if over $600.

"but an F-code 302, or a 351-2V (H-code, I think?) Who cares about those?
Ouch - that hurts, Man! :-/

You know - I'm pretty sure my lowly "H-Code" could smoke your 429. :p (Seriously... it's an over-built monster with more "Go-Fast Goodies" than stock parts... and lighter, too)

But who cares about H-Codes, right? :rolleyes:

rofl

Seriously, even with no engine & tranny - and most important, very little or no rusty sheet metal to replace - I'd be in for $2-3,000... but not a dime more (based only on what I see in the pics). No, this is not a "collectible" car, but it's not a valueless "hunk of nothing," either. :cool:

Looking a little closer at the pics, I think this might even be an A/C car, and possibly have a fold-down rear seat (maybe not, that's probably the radiator in the back seat).

Based on the condition of the upholstery, I don't know that vermillion interior really matters, since pretty much everything will need to be replaced anyway.

Hey 4x4,

I surely could have worded that a little better...no offense intended to anyone's car with any drivetrain. Sorry about that. :)

What I meant was in any particular car with no obvious highly-desirable options ( such as this particular "project" candidate), only something like a rare drivetrain would generally make it worth $6000.

Of course, this is not your car...or anyones good-condition car on this forum.

It is just a mish-mash of parts, so beyond basic values, it does not seem to have much going for it that would point to "$6000".

No offense intended to you!( or anyone else).

Hey 4x4,

I surely could have worded that a little better...no offense intended to anyone's car with any drivetrain. Sorry about that. :)

What I meant was in any particular car with no obvious highly-desirable options ( such as this particular "project" candidate), only something like a rare drivetrain would generally make it worth $6000.

It is just a mish-mash of parts, so beyond basic values, it does not seem to have much going for it that would point to "$6000".

No worries, Kit - I was just tweakin' ya (I couldn't resist). I know what you meant, but had to have some fun with it (notice the liberal use of smilies). ::thumb::

I get what you meant about "just being an H-Code," etc. There were more of them made with less power and therefore, less desirable and rare. It's a fact, plain and simple. (It's when the rare and exotic model owners look down their noses that bug me - you know, kind of like how the VMFers treat us Clydesdale owners ;) )

The big upside to the "lesser collectible" models, is that someone like me, who just wanted a '71 Mach 1 of my own as a pleasure vehicle to customize as I like, 302 or 351C-2V cars should be more desirable. Why? Because I won't lose any sleep at night when I scrap the cast iron stock manifolds for headers, or change the colors, or throw away dog dish hubcaps when I slap on some Cragars.

I had a chance to drop $25K on a damn-near perfect M-code in pewter & black, Ram Air car, loaded with everything it could have. But I couldn't do it... sure, I could've afforded it, but wouldn't even consider it. Why? Because I knew if I had bought such a fine specimen, I wouldn't want to even drive it because I'd be afraid of devaluing my new 'investment' car with every mile, or worse - some kind of damage. Even though I spent more money on mine in parts alone, I will have no issues with driving my car, because I know it'll never be more valuable to anybody than it is to me - which is priceless, BTW.

There is also the situation to consider that the potential may have such a rare and desirable option content, that it would be foolish to buy it only to do a half-ass resto on it, lowering its value.

A common, less-rare model has many virtues over the rarer "hens teeth" models:

1) it's "buy-in" is cheaper

2) it will not ever see the stratospheric collector-values of the farer ones, so it is not imperative to spend stupid money restoring it.

3) it can be enjoyed more freely without fear of losing its value through use.

4) minor set-backs do not break the bank the way a concourse resto can at any minute.

$6000!

More like $1000...if there is a drivetrain.

We all love these cars, but sometimes we have to face reality: Even our beloved mach 1s do NOT generally carry the collector-values that other Mustangs do. Especially if there is nothing special about the drivetrain.

R codes are worth a ton, as are J and C codes.

Q codes are fairly desirable if in the right car, but an F-code 302, or a 351-2V (H-code, I think?) Who cares about those? Putting in a non-numbers matching engine in a car like that will not increase it's true collector value.

I would pass on that car if over $600.
Careful Kit. I care about those since I have at least one of each.

Hey 4x4,

No worries, Kit - I was just tweakin' ya (I couldn't resist). I know what you meant, but had to have some fun with it (notice the liberal use of smilies). ::thumb::

I get what you meant about "just being an H-Code," etc. There were more of them made with less power and therefore, less desirable and rare. It's a fact, plain and simple. (It's when the rare and exotic model owners look down their noses that bug me - you know, kind of like how the VMFers treat us Clydesdale owners ;) )

The big upside to the "lesser collectible" models, is that someone like me, who just wanted a '71 Mach 1 of my own as a pleasure vehicle to customize as I like, 302 or 351C-2V cars should be more desirable. Why? Because I won't lose any sleep at night when I scrap the cast iron stock manifolds for headers, or change the colors, or throw away dog dish hubcaps when I slap on some Cragars.

I had a chance to drop $25K on a damn-near perfect M-code in pewter & black, Ram Air car, loaded with everything it could have. But I couldn't do it... sure, I could've afforded it, but wouldn't even consider it. Why? Because I knew if I had bought such a fine specimen, I wouldn't want to even drive it because I'd be afraid of devaluing my new 'investment' car with every mile, or worse - some kind of damage. Even though I spent more money on mine in parts alone, I will have no issues with driving my car, because I know it'll never be more valuable to anybody than it is to me - which is priceless, BTW.
Well said. I thought about buying an "investment grade car" and then realized that I wanted to drive what I bought. And, while I do worry about the "lesser" car I bought (non original paint and some other goodies) sometimes I know that everything can be fixed. I'm much happier this way. I'll invest in something else! :)

Back