Heater Core

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I have to pay someone to install a new heater core and replace all the gaskets etc. Does anyone know a person here in Arkansas to do this? I know this varies, but does anyone have a ballpark figure for someone to install a new heater core??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about the prices in your area, but if you have an A/C car, a heater core replacement is an extensive ordeal. The heater box is difficult to get out and usually very brittle. It has to be disassembled VERY carefully, and yes all the foam and seals probably need to be replaced. If I had to guess, it would probably be a 1500-2000 dollar job. Make sure the tech doing the job understands these heater boxes are delicate and expensive to replace! And if you can, make sure to get the brass/copper core and not the aluminum one. I might be a little high on the guesstimate but I had to replace mine after the P/O broke all the mounts on my heater box and it was one of the hardest things I had to do to my car.

I was able to replace mine myself (on a non-air conditioning car) and if I can do it, you can do it too.

It's a little tricky but it isn't rocket science. Just takes some patience, time and a full stock of assorted expletives. :)

If you have an AC car it's harder to do and I got no experience whatsoever.

The heater cores are a pain to replace but you can also take care of some other items while in there. I take all the ducts for the air cond. and heater and wash them and clean 40 plus years of crud out. If a owner of the car smoked that builds up also.

A word of caution. I put a new core in a Ford van of mine that had air and you had to pull the whole dash like he did in the cougar. I got it all together with a new brass core filled it up and drove it and the new core had a leak and I had to do it again. The parts house made it good the hole was in one of the little tubes inside the core but they do not pay for the time and agony. PUT SOME AIR PRESSURE ON THE CORE LIKE 10 lbs. put in water and watch for bubbles. You can replace the vacuum lines if they are hard and cracked and the foam on all the closures. If you don't want to order you can find some at hardware stores and cut to fit. Projects like this seem to snow ball but stay focused and you can do it. Like others said a shop will just try to blow through the job to make money and will probably do more damage than good.

David

I use bicycle tubes to do that test. Get one that has about the same cross section. One made for skinny tires for heater cores. Fat tire tubes for radiators. Fill a bucket or wheel barrow with water. And test.

My car came with a bunch of paper work on prior repairs, etc. The guy who had the car before me paid $580.00 in labor (8 years ago) to have the heater core and blower motor replaced, but my car doesn't have air conditioner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reconditioned AC Box 4.jpgAC Box Inside Mounted.jpgAC Box Details.jpgReconditioned AC Box 1.jpgI've done several of the AC heater core jobs on the 71 - 73 Mustangs and Cougars.. It's a job not for the faint of heart.. Here are some videos that are helpful..

If the drain nipple to hose is broken, you can ream out the drain hole from inside the lower housing and epoxy in a 1/2" o.d. pipe. I use copper but any pipe will do. Devcon epoxy works very well. Be sure all surfaces are clean and dry. The pipe should only protrude long enough for you to attach the rubber drain tube.

Back