license plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
Anybody ever restored a license plate? I have a good non dented 71 pair that I can use if their repainted. They've started to turn a tan color and when I tried to register them, u was told their not white enough.

Thoughts? The black lettering is perfect. Their Texas plates that are white with black lettering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi J,

I've tried to in the past and found it a very tricky process, and hard to get good results. Also, you might want to check up with your local authorities as to whether it's legal to rework a license plate where you live.

Greg.:)

Hi J,

I've tried to in the past and found it a very tricky process, and hard to get good results. Also, you might want to check up with your local authorities as to whether it's legal to rework a license plate where you live.

Greg.:)
Their the ones who told me to do it. To be honest I think their being too picky.

Yeah, probably are. I'd call BS.

Ask them to show you the rulebook, color gradient chart and the shade cutoff line that renders them illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done several. Had the best results using auto grade paint with hardener for background. Then clear coat with hardener. Then tape off the long straight sides of the figures and border. Using basic enamel and a 1/2" wide brush - then free hand the short sections and corners. You can use oil and grease remover to clean mistakes without messing up the base paint.

I believe that Texas plates are also reflective. You'll probably want to use some kind of reflective paint for the background, otherwise when you take them to the DMV, they'll complain that even though they're "white" enough, they might not have any 'reflective' qualities left.

I'm not saying that's how it goes... but you know how government agencies can be.

Any thoughts on using something like Mother's Mag & Wheel Polish, or Clay Bar, or some other kind of paint surface deep-cleaner? That might get you where you need to be without taking away the reflective qualities (if they still exist).

I thought about redoing mine... but they're pretty old and messed up. Not to mention, they would look really crappy with the cool new license plate frames my wife bought.

39880_148084851869108_4816418_n[1].jpg

1800265_931977220146530_5772418653908503607_n[1].jpg

I believe that Texas plates are also reflective. You'll probably want to use some kind of reflective paint for the background, otherwise when you take them to the DMV, they'll complain that even though they're "white" enough, they might not have any 'reflective' qualities left.

I'm not saying that's how it goes... but you know how government agencies can be.

Any thoughts on using something like Mother's Mag & Wheel Polish, or Clay Bar, or some other kind of paint surface deep-cleaner? That might get you where you need to be without taking away the reflective qualities (if they still exist).

I thought about redoing mine... but they're pretty old and messed up. Not to mention, they would look really crappy with the cool new license plate frames my wife bought.
I've emailed the state asking the flextime question. I read the law and it says it may be repainted and the colors must match. It doesn't mention reflective paint, only the colors. In what year did reflective paint become a requirement in Texas?

I've emailed the state asking the flextime question. I read the law and it says it may be repainted and the colors must match. It doesn't mention reflective paint, only the colors. In what year did reflective paint become a requirement in Texas?
I'm not entirely sure when they went to reflective paint. I know it's been at least since 1991 when I first arrived in San Angelo on the Air Force Plan.

Here in New York, you are not allowed to repaint. Original condition only. However, a minor touch-up here and there would probably not raise any issues.

Here in New York, you are not allowed to repaint. Original condition only. However, a minor touch-up here and there would probably not raise any issues.
I'm not worried about if I can as the law says it is ok, but it is the how that it does not define. Only color is mentioned in the statute not if it must be reflective.

I'm not worried about if I can as the law says it is ok, but it is the how that it does not define. Only color is mentioned in the statute not if it must be reflective.

There is a nice pair of plates on eBay right now that seem cheap. Maybe it would be easier just to get those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Texas-license-plates-DGY-293-MINT-PAIR-/301636529814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463af02e96

If they're the original plates (or at least have been plates on the car), there's an added bit of coolness in using the vintage plates with the car.

So, I found this link: http://www.thebolthole.com/index.html

This page talks about when reflectorizing first started: http://www.thebolthole.com/texas/pass/60.html

1965 for Personalized plates only... 1969 for all passenger car plates.

The current method of reflectorizing was changed to what we have now in 1997.

Hope that helps.

It can be arranged for you to spend a significant amount of time developing the skills of license plate manufacturing between smashing rocks. Another perk of this job is free room and board. Just see one of your local judges and start confessing your sins....

We picked up some 1922 Arizona plates to put on our 22 Detroit Electric. We painted the background white as they were for AZ in 1922 and then brought them to a pin striper we know and let him paint the letters

The going feeling around here is that the tax office (vehicle registration is done at the local tax office in Texas but your DL is at the DMV) is being too picky. It was suggested that I place them in the sun for a few days to let them lighten up. I'm then going to take another run at the office.

The resto guys tell me the yellowing is common and was caused by the reflective paint used at the time and they were never bright white like they are today. They feel refinishing them destroys the value and authenticity of the plates, especially since their in such good shape.

Of course the old man with his boat full animals have to find land first. This 49 days/night of rain is getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a contact in central TN that restores plates very reasonably priced. It is an elderly couple and they are great to work with. They have done several for me including my Utah plate this past winter. PM me and I can get their infor to you if you want it.

The going feeling around here is that the tax office (vehicle registration is done at the local tax office in Texas but your DL is at the DMV) is being too picky. It was suggested that I place them in the sun for a few days to let them lighten up. I'm then going to take another run at the office.

The resto guys tell me the yellowing is common and was caused by the reflective paint used at the time and they were never bright white like they are today. They feel refinishing them destroys the value and authenticity of the plates, especially since their in such good shape.
Actually, I think I'm the one being picky, asking about the reflective stuff. ;)

I still say give the Mother's Mag & Wheel Polish a shot. ::thumb::

Back