So, I had to break into my car today....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
.... because I left the keys inside. Stupid old me!

I realized when I let the door go before it even slammed shut that I had made a mistake but I didn't wanna risk my fingers.

I have never attempted to unlock a car by any other means than the proper intended ones, so I was worried if I would be able to do it.

What I wanted to get to is this: I was amazed that on my very first try it only took me about 35 seconds to unlock the door with a wire!!!!

35 SECONDS!!!

If I knew how to hot wire a car it would've probably really been "Gone in 60 seconds"!

Dang, I mean I was happy I got my keys out but I was shocked how easy that was. Guess I'm gonna leave the car unlocked in the future.

They don't get in any faster but at least they don't scratch the paint. :)

So, either I have a lot of criminal talent or my Italian heritage is stronger than I thought. :)

It's like the old saying, "locks just keep honest people honest, crooks still get in". Even if they have to break out a window, that's a minor loss compared to the rest of the car or the parts that can be removed from the car. Additional preventative measures are a good idea.

Yeah I know, even new cars aren't safe.

It's one of the reasons I usually leave the Mustang's top down when I park it. There's nothing in there to steal anyway so why risk having the top cut open?

The other ( and main) reason is simply laziness. :)

Yes Mike,

it's dead easy to break in and steal etc, etc. That is why having a good insurance policy with the right company and the proper amount of cover is crucial for our cars. Quality car alarm systems work to a degree, but the pros seem to find a way around them too.

Greg.:)

One of the greatest features of the 64.5 to 66 Mustangs (and probably other Fords) was that you need to use the key to lock the door from the outside. If you push the lock-lever down and close the door, the lock-lever does not engage and is forced up, leaving the door unlocked. Thus, you can never, ever, lock yourself out of the car.

That is, until you toss your keys in the trunk and close the lid after locking your doors. Ask me how I know...

It's one of the reasons I usually leave the Mustang's top down when I park it. There's nothing in there to steal anyway so why risk having the top cut open?

The other ( and main) reason is simply laziness. :)
Good idea, a co-worker left an empty lap top case on the back seat of his BMW convertible, somebody sliced his top and stole the empty case, cost him (and his insurance company) nearly two thousand dollars.

The guys with the towing rigs just hook up and go and don't bother to start it. They can even get the car out of a parallel parking spot the rig goes in sideways lifts the wheels and brings I out and then they lift it and gone they don't even get out of the vehicle.

I saw a cl ad last week someone had their mustang stolen out in the country. I would think a tracking device would be your best bet of keeping and finding your car if stolen. To hot wire one is just a alligator clip lead two feet long to go from battery to coil and then short the solenoid to the hot side and it starts right up.

David

........OR, I could just leave my Ex-wife in the car.....her personality would fend off most men...........
:D :D :D

The flaw in this plan is that I'd have to have her with me in between stops so she's there when I park it.

But she'd keep me out if the car as well.... :)

yeah....you know the type....there are some women that, the best thing they can do to please a man, is to leave the room.....I married their Queen! BUT, after the divorce, I met a wonderfully fantastic girl ( whom I am still married to), that just goes to show #1 was a mistake, and # 2 a keeper and the love of my life. My current wife even had a '69 Camaro SS396, 4 speed, posi when we met. She knew how to turn me on with vintage cool iron. My Mach1 and her SS Camaro, it's the all-American family out in the driveway.

yeah....you know the type....there are some women that, the best thing they can do to please a man, is to leave the room.....I married their Queen! BUT, after the divorce, I met a wonderfully fantastic girl ( whom I am still married to), that just goes to show #1 was a mistake, and # 2 a keeper and the love of my life. My current wife even had a '69 Camaro SS396, 4 speed, posi when we met. She knew how to turn me on with vintage cool iron. My Mach1 and her SS Camaro, it's the all-American family out in the driveway.
Good for you Spike,

Sounds like you're a lucky guy indeed.

Greg.:)

Back