Someone want to break the news to this guy?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How 'bout 'dat... the world's first automatic '72 Boss.

Woddle ya know... it has AC, too.

Shazam.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't specifically claim that the supposed BOSS 351 engine is original to the car, so it is possible it is transplanted. More likely it is the stock engine with B'1 valve covers and decals.

Either way, its a nice car...only tiny details to make it "correct", if that is a concern.

-With INCORRECT Boss 351 valve cover decals. Typical for folks that run the Boss 351 aluminum valve covers...

For a real Boss 351 engine ---- Here is correct one that should be only on driver's side valve cover - nothing else!

correct Boss 351 valve cover decal drivers side only.jpg

Ray

OK kids. Let's think this one through before we have another "Frank Cone" episode on our hands. What we have here is a 43 year old Mustang that still looks good, and basically looks original. It has a few mods on it, but so what? It's priced reasonably well, and don't forget. That's just the asking price... :D

Good point! ::thumb::

However, the purpose (and game for some) of pointing out the flaws, could possibly help someone get a better deal. The seller is apparently a dealer of some sort, so of course they're going to throw out the cool terms to reel in low-information buyers looking to get a good deal on an overpriced car.

Incorrect Boss 351 engine aside (unauthorized valve cover stickers, probably), I noticed the wheel well moldings, some decals out of place (351 Ram Air is too far back on the hood) as well as the "6J Gray Gold" paint code (WTF?!). Looks like Ford Light Pewter to me. I think everything "wrong" with this car is all about stickers (either slightly out of place, or don't belong on this car). ;)

Looks like a solid car to me - warts and all... The price isn't off-base for a 5-star H-code Mach 1. I think this would be about a 4.5 star car.

What about the backwards rear spoiler - or am I wrong ;) ?!?
The spoiler is correct.

Why the venom towards this guy? he never claimed it was a "concourse" correct, 100-point car.

I actually think it looks like a pretty nice car, and for being 45 years old...it is impressively close to being "stock".

The asking price seems about right for what it is.

What about the backwards rear spoiler - or am I wrong ;) ?!?
The spoiler is correct.

Why the venom towards this guy? he never claimed it was a "concourse" correct, 100-point car.

I actually think it looks like a pretty nice car, and for being 45 years old...it is impressively close to being "stock".

The asking price seems about right for what it is.
+1

I don't see the 'venom' . The ad is very subjective - guess most are... Anyway it is good to point out stuff on a car to help learn. If it has the wrong hood for the car and you like it - then there is no problem. Non-original can be right for many if that is what they are looking for. I have seen many modified cars that I think are amazing looking and strong running cars. And I am sure the owners would agree. If I see a car that looks stock but isn't I like to know what has been changed. It is a very reasonable question. I could build a Boss 429 or Boss 302 71 Mustang or a 72 429 SCJ car and make it 'look' VERY original. But many would know it is NOT. We need to make sure and keep the information correct on how they came originally.

Please don't be offended by others pointing out what is different about any car. It helps provide a baseline for what has been done to the car. Attention to the details (fit/finish etc) is the key to a nice car - whether stock or not.

Too many people over the years have told me how they went to a car show and saw a 1970 Boss 351. It was there and 'all original'. Yes - we had a red 1970 Mustang running around central Oklahoma with "Boss 351" stickers on it. Funny one day I pulled into a local drive-in in mine and he saw us and immediately left. I was actually wanting to talk to him. His car was decent looking. I think it was a 351C-2V car with automatic. Heard he added the 4V intake carb and 'glass packs'. Oh well. memories...

Ray

Nothing wrong with those that like the simple purity of an original car, just as there is equally considerable value in modified cars, as long as the modifications are well done mechanically/ physically.

My annoyance is with the few ( here and at cruise nights) that like to downgrade someone else's ride because it doesn't fit thier own criteria of a "correct" vehicle.

Whatever the owner wants it to be is "correct" unless he willingly seeks out the judgement of s third party. Then, of course it is "open season" for comments and opinions, whether the owner likes and agrees with them or not.

My '76 Torino came stock with the big, bad 460 PI motor ( A code)...producing an Earth-shaking 202 horses from 7.5 litres and 900 lbs of good ol' Amercan iron.

It is astounding that such little power could be produced from so many cubes...

Over the years I have had to defend to so many "experts" who know just how to "wake this motor up" and why I prefer to leave it stock. Many of them actually get offended when I say it is a better car overall when left stock. Like I am saying they are wrong because I don't agree with them.

When people see my Mustang at car shows or cruise-nights, and they find out I am the original owner, the "experts" will many times say something like "Well, that's not the original______________", like they caught me in a lie or something.

And I always say "good eye", while reminding them I never said it was original. My poor car has been trashed, thrashed, stolen and crashed over 45 years. I keep putting it back together, and it is a real Frankenstien's monster of a car now. It may look mostly original to a casual observer, but it is probably as far away from original as almost any car on this forum.

As long as discrepancies are pointed out purely for the sake of knowledge, and not made in a derogatory fashion to the car's owner, I'm cool...

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen anything in this thread that constitutes "venom," to be honest. A few have pointed out some inconsistencies, but nobody's been hateful or especially harsh in their observations and comments.

Back