Delete

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinion on a trade: Someone wants to trade me a 71 project convertible M code for a blue/white 71 Sprint coupe. It that a good trade?
I thought all Sprints were 1972?

Need more info - A super clean low mileage 72 Sprint coupe would be worth more than a basket case barely better than a parts car M code convertible.

or

A ratty 72 Coupe (no offense to the coupe owners here) would almost always be worth much less than a 71 M code convertible that needs a "typical" restoration.

Done correctly the m code convert is worth around 30K and rising

Done correctly a 72 Coupe - even a Sprint - wont top 15K and will probably stay there for many years to come. Just check the current craigslist pricing for a 1960's coupes compared to 1960's convertibles.

Now if the coupe is an HO 351 or a Q code 4 speed that would certainly change things.

Locally there is a very nice green 72 HO coupe (1 of 19 total HO coupes made) in the same garage as a very nice green 72 HO convertible (1 of 13 total HO converts made). He is looking for a green fastback to complete the collection. So far we have had no luck finding one. It may not exist out of what is left of the 366 made.

After much debate we have decided to restore a rusty 71 M code, ram air, auto, convertible. If it was not an M or Q code we would have parted it out without a 2nd thought.

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Opinion on a trade: Someone wants to trade me a 71 project convertible M code for a blue/white 71 Sprint coupe. It that a good trade?
You have better access to market values. You are a vendor and have restored and sold many Mustangs. You buy-sell-trade parts too. Probably more 'plugged in' to the market than most on here.

I'm more curious as someone with your exposure - what do you think?

Ray :cool:

I have done a lot of 64-70 and 87-93 Mustang's but don't know the market valves on 71-73. I suspect the price of the 4th gen Mustang's will rise in valve as it's popularity grows and the earlier years get more out of reach for a reasonable price.

ah - thanks for the clarification. Over the years I have seen the performance motored cars - especially the more rare ones move first when the market goes up.

4 speeds almost always command a little more as well. Any exceptionally well done restoration, where it is obvious the restorer paid attention to the details, aka 'dealt with correcting the little things' are also cars that can command a serious premium. Now if a super restored car just happens to be a lower-production performance version - well that adds more to the value as well.

I am speaking pretty much for the more original cars. If a car is heavily modified and the mods are desirable to the potential buyer then that adds value as well. It is a very rare modified car where the work is kept to a very high level of craftsmanship. Unfortunately, in my experiences, most cars that have been modified and are subsequently put up for sale are unfinished and far from this higher level of detail.

I'd want to hold onto the convertible...

Ray

Back