New member with a rusty convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steves73

Reaction score
My Car
73 rusty convertible
Just my introduction. I just bought a 73 convertible that has always been in Canada, but no one ever sprayed rust proofing. I have too much work ahead of me. The front bumper mount in the photo at the frame was rusted rotten inside and I guess when it took a hit, it spread open along the bottom in a weird way. I removed the heavy front bumper and have removed it. No replacement can be found. Also, the trunk lid doesn't align quite right. Other than those 2 things, nothing surprising. For now I just want to start driving it while I work on it. It has a 351C 2v. I have a 73 cougar, so I have familiarity.2015-05-26 22.34.51.jpg2015-05-26 22.34.06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Nice, another yellow convertible.

Remember to post a pin on the member map under "fun stuff" at the top right of the page.

Welcome

Crites makes a front bumper out of fiberglass-but it has no internal structure-it is slow to arrive and the quality is only so so. If you can work fiberglass it could look good, but it will require work as it is a bit wavy.

They also make aluminum mounts-you can see photos in one of my old threads.

I used the steel reinforcing core glued inside the fiberglass to give mine some true bumper characteristics, but it is still no better than cosmetic.

Do not throw out your Bumper mounts. They are even harder to find than the bumpers. They can also be repaired by cutting out the rubber, straightening out the bent metal and being re rubberized together with something like "Prothane" from Graingers.

you could easily just put a little wooden jig together to bolt and hold everything in proper position while pouring.

Welcome to the family!

Welcome from West Texas!

BTW - in my best Crocodile Dundee voice: "That' not rust... now this is some rust!"

attachment.php

Good lookin' car, Man! When you find some actual rust, let me know. rofl

So you just need the left side bumper support? I needed one years ago and found a set on ebay. I still have the right side sitting around. Too bad you don't need the right side.

Hello and ::welcome:: from Germany

Juergen

Welcome from Oklahoma.

If car was ordered with décor group and then with side stripes - and functional ram air your car could be correct as pictured.

That would be cool.

Ray

Welcome to the group another yellow vert. I have a 73 yellow with white interior. Like Ray said do you have Marti showing the hood came on your car or added?

I am scraping a 72 vert let me know if anything you need might fit. Now it is rusty for sure the seat frames were rusted into.

David

Back