New glass. Where to buy?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
Any recommendations on what brand and where to purchase windshield, door windows, and rear window for 1971 Mach 1

I'm interested in purchasing new. I ran across a thread somewhere that Carlite is not producing glass for 71-73 Mustangs. At least not windshields.

I read a positive review of PS auto glass, and that they will mark their glass with Carlite logo.

Thanks in advance

+1 on PS auto glass. Good product and good service. They will etch the proper carlite script and date code. Chuck

Agree with the others on PS Auto Glass. I have bought glass from them for my 67 and my 72. After date stamping the 72 glass for me he noticed a flaw in the glass and brought it to my attention. To me that made me appreciate his honesty as the glass was already date coded. I have been to their shop and it is in a little warehouse in Southern WI so not much overhead in my opinion.

Thanks to all. That certainly made it simple. Was fit and quality good?

I ask because a friend of mine owns and operates a body shop. Last year he worked on a 69' Mach 1 restoration. He told me that the fitment of the aftermarket glass that was given to him, by the cars owner, was terrible.

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted PS auto late last night and received a quote today.

The offer clear, and green tint. Did you go for the green tint? If so, does the windshield have a darker band across the top? That's how I remember the older cars with tinted glass.

Also, how was the fitment of the glass into your car. Any problems or issues?

Thanks,

Agree with the others on PS Auto Glass. I have bought glass from them for my 67 and my 72. After date stamping the 72 glass for me he noticed a flaw in the glass and brought it to my attention. To me that made me appreciate his honesty as the glass was already date coded. I have been to their shop and it is in a little warehouse in Southern WI so not much overhead in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted PS auto late last night and received a quote today.

The offer clear, and green tint. Did you go for the green tint? If so, does the windshield have a darker band across the top? That's how I remember the older cars with tinted glass.

Also, how was the fitment of the glass into your car. Any problems or issues?
I did go with the tint as my car was originally equipped with tinted glass, but no A/C. It does have the darker band across the top. It was interesting when I bougfht the replacement glass for my 67 GT it also had the darker band across the top. The amount of fade that had occured with the original glass was unbelievable. The OE glas was almost brown at the top from all of the years of sun.

Both my 67 & 72 glass fit just fine with no problems. In fact, I helped the installer with the 67 glass and he commented on how well it was made compared to some of the other reproduction glass he has installed. He is an older guy here in town that most of the hot rod and muscle car guys go to because he knows all of the old school tricks to installing in these cars versus most of the younger guys just knowing how to glue it in.

You can see the band across the top in this picture

1972 24.jpg

I ended up purchasing a complete set of tinted glass from PS Auto. My friend, who owns and operates an interior shop, installed all the glass. He said the fitment of all the glass was fine and installed without any issues.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

What is their website? I find pro source glass international and ps autoglass, two different companies

I shopped around locally for front windshields. One place ordered it and came in with the rear view mirror mount permanently attached in the middle of the window. It looked ridiculous. Way off from where it should be. Other place had it where it should be closer to the center top of the windshield.

Hey guys I just got a factory Mach 1 or sports roof rear window with defogger tinted and have the wire harness, relay and switch complete. I did not look at the glass but I think the harness had a 73 date on the relay. Not looked to see what price should be but I have been told it is the rarest option on our cars. Would like to know I have two cars with them. I can also get a coupe set up if anyone interested.

David

I shopped around locally for front windshields. One place ordered it and came in with the rear view mirror mount permanently attached in the middle of the window. It looked ridiculous. Way off from where it should be. Other place had it where it should be closer to the center top of the windshield.
It should be way down on a fastback

It is nowhere close to the top

It should be way down on a fastback

It is nowhere close to the top
If not they would interfere with the visor shades right? My broke off and i ended up gluing it a little offset so i can lower the shade without hitting the mirror.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Back