Window washer question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
I haven't used the window washer on my car yet because I always thought it did not work. It only squealed like a pig, so I just supposed it was broken.

Now I've actually put water in it and to my great surprise it worked...... But not consistently.

It will be quiet and squirt some water on the windshield, then it will squeal and not work again. So, it's on and off.

I thought maybe there was air in the system that needed to be flushed out but I guess after it worked three or four times that could be ruled out.

Could the pump be loose so that it moves when activated and is no longer able to pump?

I have some additional stuff mounted to the inner fender right in front of the pump, so access isn't easy. I'd have to remove the container completely, which is why I prefer to pick your brains first.

Probably motor/pump going bad. Pretty easy to pull the tank. Loosen 2 bolts and unplug wire and hose. Pops right out. Easier to change the motor/pump on the bench anyhow. If I remember right theres just a ring that holds the motor/pump in place. Spray it with a lot of wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak for a bit. sometimes the motor/pump will stick in the plastic tank. if your tank is really old and brittle it may break.

Back