Question about Arizona license plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A strange subject, but I picked up some Arizona plates last time I was in Phoenix at a local junkyard. The idea was to use them as showplates for car shows back here in the UK. I kind of liked the look of the 80s Arizona plates.

But I haven't seen cars using these old plates. Do car owners in Arizona need to replace them every few years?

IMG_7677_zpsov0txry5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A strange subject, but I picked up some Arizona plates last time I was in Phoenix at a local junkyard. The idea was to use them as showplates for car shows back here in the UK. I kind of liked the look of the 80s Arizona plates.

But I haven't seen cars using these old plates. Do car owners in Arizona need to replace the them every few years?

IMG_7677_zpsov0txry5.jpg
Most States make you replace your metal plates every few years so they can charge you an extra fee.

Many States do allow you to reuse an old plate of the same year as your classic vehicle. They treat it like a personalized or historic plate and charge an extra fee.

In Florida we had 1968 plates on a 1968 Torino - Red plates on a red car - very cool. They charged me an extra fee.

Knowing what you have to deal with as far as fee's go I will not complain.

Paul of Mo

oh sure, about every 10 years the states change plate designs.

what happens is the change helps purge out unregistered cars.

people have been known to drive for years with cars that have been illegally registered or not registered at all by stealing a plate.

so when they switch from an old plate to a new one you get a grace period of about a year then if the cops see you driving with the old plate you get pulled over and they ask for the paperwork, if you just chose to keep the old plate they let you go, if they find illegal activity you get arrested and car impounded.

it used to be they forced you to get a new number with the new plate, now you can keep your old number but you get a new plate design.

again they keep changing around what they do when they change plates over. it used to be they forced you, now you have options that cost more or less when you do a renewal.

as an example that Arizona license plate ran from 1980 till 1997 and was replaced

by this

431AAA.jpg

that plate was slightly changed in 2008 to this

Aaa0111.JPG

correct for 1969 till 1972 was this

69kae718.JPG

1973 till 1980 was this

73paa.JPG

Shame, as some cool old plate designs get canned. Would have thought there we be no reason to change plates now that police cameras can read plates and cheque them against a database.

No we are not required to change plates in Arizona but the plate stays with the owner when a car is sold not the car

Here is a list of the plate styles we have available

Alternative Fuel

Arizona Agriculture

Arizona Cardinals

Arizona Centennial

Arizona Diamondbacks

Arizona Highways

Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation

Boy Scouts of Arizona

Channel 8 PBS

Character Education

Child Abuse Prevention

Childhood Cancer Research

Choose Life

Collegiate - Arizona State University

Collegiate - Northern Arizona University

Collegiate - University of Arizona

Energy Efficient

Environmental

Extraordinary Educators

Families of Fallen Police Officers

Girl Scouts

Gold Star Family

Gold Star Family Motorcycle

Golden Rule

Historic Vehicle

Hunger Relief

In God We Trust

Keep Arizona Beautiful

Masonic Fraternity

Military Support/Freedom

Military Support/Freedom Motorcycle

Motorcycle

Navajo Nation

Pet Friendly/Spay and Neuter

Phoenix International Raceway

Phoenix Suns

Pink Ribbon/Cancer Awareness

San Carlos Apache Tribe

Thunderbird School of Global Management

Transplantation Awareness (Organ Donor)

Trailer (full size 6x12)

Trailer (small size 4x7)

University of Phoenix

White Mountain Apache Tribe

Women Veterans

Amateur Radio

Purple Heart

Purple Heart Medal Motorcycle

Street Rod

Veteran

Veteran Motorcycle

2wf1z55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No we are not required to change plates in Arizona but the plate stays with the owner when a car is sold not the car

Here is a list of the plate styles we have available

Alternative Fuel

Arizona Agriculture

Arizona Cardinals

Arizona Centennial

Arizona Diamondbacks

Arizona Highways

Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation

Boy Scouts of Arizona

Channel 8 PBS

Character Education

Child Abuse Prevention

Childhood Cancer Research

Choose Life

Collegiate - Arizona State University

Collegiate - Northern Arizona University

Collegiate - University of Arizona

Energy Efficient

Environmental

Extraordinary Educators

Families of Fallen Police Officers

Girl Scouts

Gold Star Family

Gold Star Family Motorcycle

Golden Rule

Historic Vehicle

Hunger Relief

In God We Trust

Keep Arizona Beautiful

Masonic Fraternity

Military Support/Freedom

Military Support/Freedom Motorcycle

Motorcycle

Navajo Nation

Pet Friendly/Spay and Neuter

Phoenix International Raceway

Phoenix Suns

Pink Ribbon/Cancer Awareness

San Carlos Apache Tribe

Thunderbird School of Global Management

Transplantation Awareness (Organ Donor)

Trailer (full size 6x12)

Trailer (small size 4x7)

University of Phoenix

White Mountain Apache Tribe

Women Veterans

Amateur Radio

Purple Heart

Purple Heart Medal Motorcycle

Street Rod

Veteran

Veteran Motorcycle

2wf1z55.jpg
and each one carries an additional fee

As Karlene said. You don't have to change them and they stay with you. My AZ plates on my wagoneer:

I am now using them on my CHerokee

Kind of a cool side note... They are not custom plates but include 'AZJ' as in 'Arizona Jeep' and 964 is my birth month and year...

Thanks Mike but really it was easy as the state runs a website where you can re-register your car or order or check availability of custom plates, www.servicearizona.com. I just did a couple of screen shots

Part of the revenue from the specialty plates goes to the organization it supports. It used to be $25 for the first year and $10 each year after that for custom plates but now it is $25 every year. Specialty plates run $8 to $25 per year and if you want a custom specialty plate it is $50 per year over your regular registration fees

Great to see your car with the old style plates and nice that they're still legal, they must be a rare sight these days. I remember seeing them quite a bit on my first visit to Arizona in 1982.

Back