Should I De-Badge my Car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 302
Starting to think about paint for my 73 Vert. I am not a big fan of the script "Mustang" on the front fenders and the back. I am considering removing them and filling the holes. What will it look like...too plain? Not real worried about originality. What do you think?

I'm not a fan of the "Mustang" script either but, I do have originality biases so, it is like the answer to many questions here. It is your car. So, it is up to you. If you wanted to graft a Camaro or Challenger Grille to it, I'd give you a clear answer. NO.

Chuck

I removed all badges on my restoration...I like it but it is a personal preference. Here's a picture of mine, it not 100% complete in this picture but maybe it will help you decide.

20150502_100741.jpg

20150502_100803.jpg

I'm not a fan of the "Mustang" script either but, I do have originality biases so, it is like the answer to many questions here. It is your car. So, it is up to you. If you wanted to graft a Camaro or Challenger Grille to it, I'd give you a clear answer. NO.

Chuck
Hmm, if I re-badged mine as an obscure Challenger could I sell it for triple the real value?

Chuck
Hmm, if I re-badged mine as an obscure Challenger could I sell it for triple the real value?
Probably could!

As for the Mustang Script. Next repaint I am removing mine. I say go for it.

I'm usually a stickler for keeping a car mostly original or at least period correct mods. Removing badges falls under the mostly original category in my book. I say go for it.

I actually like the script badges - the block letters on the trunk, not so much. If mine would've came with the scripts, I would keep them. I had bought a set of GTS universal headlight covers for my '82 Mustang, and since they didn't have any "Mustang" decals, I painted the very same Mustang script on the driver side cover - looked pretty cool, actually. In fact, since it doesn't say "Mustang" anywhere on mine (since it's a Mach 1), I'd thought about putting one of the fender script badges on the passenger side dash trim panel - but I settled for a couple of Bar & Pony logos on the deluxe door panels, a la '69-'70 model style.

The script is such a small thing, and quite honestly, de-badging something that's so small doesn't make much of an impact to me. But, it's your car and build it how you like. If you want 'em gone, get 'em gone! ;) :D

It's funny how people are about "keeping 'em authentic or not," Don didn't even say anything about my missing radio antenna when he was here - I had it deleted and use a Retrosound radio signal booster under the dashboard. I'm betting he probably didn't even notice. ;)

Back