Heater rebuild kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I am getting ready to do the "fun" Heater Core replacement in my 72 vert. Anybody know where I can find the 1972 heater core rebuild kit wih AC? I am finding kits for older models, not the 72.

I am deep into rebuilding my heater box with air right now. Had to pull the wire harness out so thought it would be a great time to do the heater core. The box had never been out the factory sprayed undercoat was still on the nuts on the firewall.

I ordered the D1ZZ-18500-A 71 -73 Heater Seal Kit with Air. It was made by Daniel Carpenter. It really sucks to put it bluntly. The seal that goes to the cowl had a molded seal from the factory. The seal in the kit is just die cut from flat stock and is a lot thinner. The same with the seal that goes between the blower and the heater box. except it is like the cheapest foam I have ever seen. The flaps in the heater box all had a very soft foam on them from factory and the supplied ones are very dense. I am still waiting on the heater core and will take some pictures when it gets here. Over all I think I could have gone to the foam and fabric shop and came up with better solutions. I think I will have to do something different on the cowl seal. The seal that is labeled #1 in the exploded view is useless it is not long enough to go around the exit from the blower duct and is like 1/8" thick and needs to be 1/2" and soft to seal around the ducts. I will use some hardware foam for doors to replace.

I would try a different brand other than Carpenter it is a joke.

I will work on a post next week with pictures of before and after and any issues I had. Just take lots of pictures if you are going to do a 100% teardown there are lots of pieces. No difficult just time consuming for sure. I blasted all the little parts and refinished them.

Attached one picture of the box before removal.

David

DSC_1591.JPG

Back