Dashboard chrome trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way of restoring the chrome trim lines on the dashboard please? Mine has worn in places. I understand it is vacuum metalized chrome, do I need to get the dash sent away and get redone, or is there any easier way?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark.

Thin Lizzy,

I sent my Speed-O-Meter and glove box off to be re-chromed some years ago. Once I got it back, painted it up and it look really good. This was way before the reproduction stuff showed up.

Today, it might be more cost effective to purchase the reproduction part.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/black-instrument-bezel-1971-1973/p/IB23/

mustang7173

This^^^!

The parts are completely plated in chrome and then painted black except for the little shiny pieces that will show afterwards.

You can try using aluminum foil and glue that on but it takes extreme patience or you can try some of the new chrome type paint finishes. That will look ok but no more. It also needs a clear coat over it.

Given the availability of repro parts, it's easiest to buy new, although I know about the dilemma we face as Europeans when it comes to shipping and taxes. :(

When I got my car I decided after a while to simply paint the whole trim panels black and forget about the chrome trim. At least it looked clean and way better than the worn chrome that really made it all look used and derelict.

Item #FM-BI009BL

71-73 DASH SPEEDOMETER TRIM PANEL, DELUXE

Instrument bezel. Black camera case finish with chrome trim. Vent housing and louvers shown in picture is not included. Price: $82.95

Add To Shopping Cart

Thanks for the link and suggestions. Yes, that the problem, I'd buy the repro parts but shipping and import duty is usually the same cost as the part (and the strong dollar is not helping). If I could get the shipping cheaper I'd buy it.

I used a chrome pen to do the lines, but it just looks silver and doesn't cut it. That one from OMS looks good.

Steering%20wheel_zpsafb19efr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We did the chrome pen routine on a dash bezel and it didn't look too bad but we still replaced it with the re-pop. On the bezel around the shifter we used chrome tape and it really doesn't look bad. Just stuck it on and then used a razor blade to trim it

HVAC Foil Duct Tape works well (hardware store for about $10)... but you'll need to polish it for the chrome look. I was going to do that, but several of the mounting points for various things (like A/C vent, etc.) was broken off my original pieces. So, I bought the repop pieces from OMS. They're awesome!

My only complaint would be that the wood grain vinyl glue on the center gauge pod wasn't the best (a few of the edges had already started lifting up). But that wasn't a problem for me, since I was going to replace it with the carbon fiber vinyl anyway. And it's not like it was falling off all over the place - just a corner or two, and with a bit of heat, the whole thing came off in one piece (made a dandy template for the new vinyl, too).

Something I've noticed that applies to scale model building & airbrushing is a couple of products I'd thought of trying. One is called SpazStix (it's the closest to actual chrome spray paint I've ever seen, but have no idea how it would hold-up in an automotive application), and the other is Alclad II lacquer, which is a dead-on accurate chrome paint process - several colors like the Eastwood Chrome stuff... but won't eat plastic). Luxstang had the right idea using something called Bare Metal Foil... which is very much like the HVAC aluminum foil duct tape - but again, it's for scale models, so I have no idea how durable it would be in a real car.

Back