Straight Mach 1 side stripes?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "hockey stick" stripes were standard on all BOSS 351s ( 71only), and optional on 71-72 Mach 1s, and were included in the "spring special" hardtop package on late-year 71 ( or was it '72?) hardtops.

The fat, straight stripes were standard and only available on '73 Mach 1s.

There were a handful of '73 coupes that had factory-applied 71-72 style "hockey sticks", but the new 73 bumper design neccesitated some dodgey-looking mods to make them look somewhat correct. Even so, they never looked right to me on a 73.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember someone knowledgeable saying awhile back that the Hockey Stripes could be ordered as an optional trim item on the '73 'verts as well.

4x4,

They probably made the hockey sticks available on 73 verts too, but I don't think I have ever seen an authentic example in person. But why not?

EB,

Good eye! That is a rare (extremely rare) part of the optional "Mach 1" interior trim that was used for only a month or two in early production, then dropped altogether. I think it was probably installed in a higher number of early Cougars than Mustangs, but there are no documents that I knowcof to support this.

It is a formed piece of aluminum, with the woodgrain printed on it ( like those old disposable aluminum ashtrays they used to have in restraunts), and the woodgrain texture is stamped into the aluminum. The piece wraps around the clock, and goes to about where the long, skinny side pieces connect, which are a vinyl sticker.

I am not sure how many cars came with one, but it sure isn't very many!

If you look close, you will see that my sportlamps in the grill are different than most too.

Instead of argent-painted( dull silver) plastic bezels ( or maybe the plastic was molded in that color), my sportlamp bezels are made from pot-metal, not plastic. And...they are CHROME PLATED. They look quite different from the much-more common plastic versions.

I think those also only lasted a month or two during early production, then gave way to the cheaper, common version.

Last edited:
If you look at the 1971 Mustang Brochure, you will see the wood grain bezel on the console on the page featuring the red Mach 1 interior.

When I saw your car several times years ago when I lived in FLA, I never noticed the wood grain bezel. I do remember you pointing out the chrome sport lamps.

The "hockey stick" stripes were standard on all BOSS 351s ( 71only), and optional on 71-72 Mach 1s, and were included in the "spring special" hardtop package on late-year 71 ( or was it '72?) hardtops.

The fat, straight stripes were standard and only available on '73 Mach 1s.

There were a handful of '73 coupes that had factory-applied 71-72 style "hockey sticks", but the new 73 bumper design neccesitated some dodgey-looking mods to make them look somewhat correct. Even so, they never looked right to me on a 73.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember someone knowledgeable saying awhile back that the Hockey Stripes could be ordered as an optional trim item on the '73 'verts as well.
The 1971 Mustang Spring Special was a promotional trim package that added Boss stripes, a color-keyed Mach 1 bumper; aka 'spoiler/bumper', dual color-keyed racing mirrors and a non- functioning color-keyed (no blackout) ram air hood all to help sell more of the base model hardtops. I have never seen any documentation of any kind to substantiate the same or similar package for 1972 or 1973 model years.

The Décor Group, if ordered, the additional option of Boss type side stripes to both convertibles and hardtops for both 1972 and 1973 model years. - I own a very original convertible so equipped. And yes Kit, for 73 they did some extra working to make them look marginally OK. That part of that stripe on any 73 always looks weird to me.

Agree on the 1973 Mach 1 side stripe - only used on 1973 Mach 1's.

For more on the Décor Group by year see:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-decor-group-71-72-73

Ray

The 71 brochure sure does show the extra woodgrain, but I am convinced those are ALL pictures of prototype or cobbled-up pre-production cars.

There are MANY differences in those pictures from actual production cars:

1) the seats are clearly the thicker, 70-style frames with 71-style upholstery. 71 seat backs are much thinner.

2) the shifter bezel is chromed and has chrome "dots", whereas the production version is black with no dots.

3) the 3- gauge pod in the center stack has the Oil and Temp gauges reversed from actual production models

4) no radio antennas on any car pictured.

5) seat belts are a little screwey-looking if I remember correctly.

6) there are no "VOLUME" or "TONE" embossings on the radio bezel, ala production versions

7) sportlamp and front parking lenses appear white or clear in some shots as opposed to the yellow production versions.

There are other discrepancies, but I can't quite remember right now.

I think the BOSS 351 shot has something odd about it, but can't quite remember what it is. Tail panel? Flat hood?

Last edited:
My old 73 Sportsroof, photo from November 1978.

I was the second owner, and as far as I knew back then the hockey stripes were always on the car.

73fastbackMustang1978_zps3a33693e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My old 73 Sportsroof, photo from November 1978.

I was the second owner, and as far as I knew back then the hockey stripes were always on the car.

73fastbackMustang1978_zps3a33693e.jpg
Do you have the window sticker/invoice or the Marti report??? Or is current owner on her and do they???

Ray

In the 73 Brochure it mentions that the Coupes and Verts could be ordered with stripes as a option with the décor group.

I also saw that the Mach 1's could be ordered with a standard or NACA hood too. I thought that they only had the NACA hoods. Could be that the brochure was in error.

Confusing bit of detail here: the "base" Mach 1s...meaning those equipped with the standard 302 2V...came with the flat hood as standard equipment. The scooped hood was a no-cost option on these cars.

The inclusion of any of the optional engines ( 351 2V and up) included the scooped hood as standard ( or "included") equipment.

I suspect Ford did this to help keep costs low on dealer-inventory ( floor plan) stock.

And I think the hockey-stick stripes always incuded the matching lower-body tutone paint/tape treatment, so I think that picture of the 73 sportsroof car had the stripes added after initial delivery. Maybe by the original selling dealer or sometime after that. I don't think they came on that particular car from the factory.

I wish I had kept a record of the vin # on my old 73, but I sold it back in the 80s.

From memory:

The car had 351 2v, FMX, 275 gear, standard black interior, factory AM/FM stereo with door speakers, and the 3/4 Vinyl roof. (The radio is the only thing I kept)

I remember the car still had the metal Luke Johnson Ford dealer badge still on the trunk lid, and the hockey stripes looked to be as old as the car.

The person I sold the car to, flipped it to a pair of guys from Australia that had come over to Texas to buy Mustangs, and Mustang parts, to take back to Australia.

A real 71 sport coupe, factory paint and stripes.

SANY0036.JPG

Back