Convertible Top Fails in Crazy Texas Rain

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73StangJK

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
351W, Tremec 3550
The convertible top on my 73 Mustang came apart after a particularly heavy rain. We had heavy rain storms off and on the past month with my car was parked outside.

I drove it the day before the failure and noticed the top looked a little saggy. My second clue was how easy it was to close the top. I didn't drive my stang the day of the failure. We came home from work and the top looked like an elephant sat on it.

302yipe.jpg

2iaeno8.jpg

Turns out the staples pulled out of the tack strip and let the rear bar and back window fall away from the main body of the convertible top.

2el7bs6.jpg

So now I need to put the band back together. I installed the top myself which is probably most of the problem. ;) But, that means I know I can fix it. I hadn't put any glue between the material of main body and the rear window. It didn't say to do that and the top had been fine for years and remained taught with no sags or any issues.

It may have actually failed because I was thinking it was an example of a wild car repair I'd done correctly. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The rains have been crazy in Oklahoma as well. I hope you can get it back together and get the car dried out. Chuck

Took me a little bit to figure out how to upload the pictures.

Wow, at first I thought the frame broke. Sounds like it's going to be somewhat easy to fix. Nice looking car. I like the color...blue glow?

Good luck with the repair and welcome to the site!

Yes, I hope the repute will be easy. Do you guys think I should add adhesive along with the new staples? The color is blue glow, and thank you for the complement. The paint is not perfect, but, my wife and I painted ourselves. It was quite a learning experience.

Thanks Don65Stang!

And thank you too Judge

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I hope the repute will be easy. Do you guys think I should add adhesive along with the new staples? The color is blue glow, and thank you for the complement. The paint is not perfect, but, my wife and I painted ourselves. It was quite a learning experience.
USE STAINLESS STAPLES! Awesome ride, man.

Such a beautiful car-body color, wheels and this to happen. Know where you are coming from. Top would not close, leak somewhere in the pneumatics and you know how hard that is to find. Some places where almost impossible to get to. Original hose......

Back