The irony of a "used" Mustang vs a "classic" Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

I am a fan of classic old TV shows, and there were plenty of old Fords used in several TV shows of the 70's...especially the "Spelling/ Goldberg" cop shows: Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Dog & Cat, etc..

The ironic part is this: The unloved Mustang II was featured on these shows, especially so for "Charlie's Angels". In a few episodes from both "Starsky" & "Angels" a character's Mustang II was destroyed for whatever reason. But since those cars were new cars at the time, they certainly did not want to trash them so they substituted a "stand in" car for the destruction.

Most often they would use an "old" 60's era Mustang for a "stand in".

It just strikes me as ironic that several truly "classic" Mustangs had to be sacrificed to protect a few crap-tastic Mustang IIs.

Sad...

Last edited:
Good point. I don't know much of the older movies (I'm 20) but when my dad has them on they are always destroying classics. I despise any movie that destroys classics and antiques. I literally cringe out loud when a car goes off a cliff or gets wrecked. Breaks my heart lol.

Well, at the time they were just used cars and that's it.

I mean if you watch the original "Gone in 60 seconds" it really hurts and I'm not talking about the Mustang!!

I always cringe when that 73 (72?) Charger gets crushed by the dump truck or at the beginning when they destroy at least 3 1970 Challengers, one by cutting it apart, one by dragging it behind a tow truck during a chase and one gets crushed.

For "The Dukes..." I read somewhere that they destroyed about 900 Chargers over the years for the show. Ouch!!

But that was then. What I hate is that there is this trend to destroy classics in new movies and by this time I mean "CLASSICS". they no longer are used cars but have reached classic status. It's a rule that when you see a classic car in a movie you know it's gonna be destroyed.

What makes it worse is the carelessness that the movie makers have in doing it. Look at the "Fast and Furious" franchise. For my personal taste they all suck to unfathomable extend, btw.

But you can tell half of that crap comes from a computer.... so why destroy actual cars? They destroyed a bunch of 1972 Torinos (which I absolutely love) for the previous one, even an ORIGINAL 429 with a 4-speed manual!!!! Why, when they generate everything with CGI anyway?

What "real life" footage is left that requires the destruction of so many cars?!?

Same for the "Gone in 60..." remake. I read 12 or 16 Fastbacks (depending on the source) were destroyed.... and you can see the crappy computer graphics everywhere. They could have shot that entire movie with two cars.

Two cars were enough to shoot "Bullitt", without computers then a new movie should be able to pull that off too.

These days it seems like they go:" Oh, we parked this car in the last scene, we need to crush it! Bring in a new one!"

That really grinds my gears.

But back to Kits original post... Yeah, you got a point!

So much this. I watched Wayne's World in horror as they committed unspeakable atrocities to that wonderful 76 Pacer. Such a waste.....

:D

One reason is that in the TV industry, it is/was common for the manufacturers to supply new cars 'for promotional use' and were expected to be returned...unharmed.

Back