Classic mustangs and gas mileage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexican

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang grande
I finally had my 71 ready to be driven with confidence, new master cylinder and new cylinders in the rear drums, new radiator, rebuilt carburator, numerous hoses all lights work, dual exhaust, etc, just need the tires but the clouds ran out of water for now:D

Anyway, i drive this car and it seems to want to be driven hard, it is very happy at higher rpms and i enjoy the hell out of it, love the growl of the dual exhaust and the flowmasters!:p

Gas mileage? who gives a flying rat about gas mileage?

Buying a classic mustang and worrying about gas mileage is like buying a hamburger from Mcdees and expecting it to be healty:cool::cool::cool:

Oh good! I thought you were going to complain about the gas mileage. Yeah, mine was horrible (6 or 7 mpg) but with the GV I get closer to 10 (and more smiles per miles).

Oh good! I thought you were going to complain about the gas mileage. Yeah, mine was horrible (6 or 7 mpg) but with the GV I get closer to 10 (and more smiles per miles).
roflroflrofl

Im, just excited to have an old car that works, for gas mileage i have a Toyota Yaris:D but is no where as fun as the Mustang

I always get a diet coke when I order a Double Whopper hamburger with my large fries.

What!?! Is that what these things do? :huh:

I thought the 302 did 15-20 mpg. I've only filled my 302 up twice in 7 months and 700 miles. Maybe I've got a Toyota Yaris engine under the hood . . .

We don't need no stinking MPG's we're having some fun now aint we Morg. I won't drive across the street to save a penny per gal either money for spending and you cant take it with you. Life is Short enjoy the drive.

The funny thing is, almost everybody that sees my car asks me about what kind of mileage i get, i tell them i get about 10 gallons to the mile, takes them a little time to get it

I'm actually more or less expecting something between 15-20, since I tossed in the AOD with the 3.00:1 rear end. If it works out, Awesome. If not... oh well. I've done my bit for fuel mileage with my Honda Civic (39mpg cartin' my big ass around with the A/C blowin').

No matter what I drive, I don't get anything close to EPA estimates, I like using the go pedal for which it was intended. When I drive my wife's car (Jaguar X-Type) I'm always getting told I'm blowing her gas out the exhaust pipe. What fun is it driving like I am trying to set a mileage record? In other words, I could care less if I get 7mpg on my Mustang.

Guys,

My Mach 1 with a 460, toploader & 3:50 gear get 10-11 mpg on a highway run, period !!!

My Model A with a 351C, AOD & 4:11 gear gets 18 mpg on an 80 mph highway run. Keep in mind it has a very good carb tune & weighs 2300 lbs !!!

Others have mentioned previously that we do not have these cars to worry about gas mileage, is a correct statement and it is what it is !!!

Thanks, Jay

Back