Classic mustangs and gas mileage

Mexican

I finally had my 71 ready to be driven with confidence, new master cylinder and new cylinders in the rear drums, new radiator, rebuilt carburator, numerous hoses all lights work, dual exhaust, etc, just need the tires but the clouds ran out of water for now:D

Anyway, i drive this car and it seems to want to be driven hard, it is very happy at higher rpms and i enjoy the hell out of it, love the growl of the dual exhaust and the flowmasters!:P

Gas mileage? who gives a flying rat about gas mileage?

Buying a classic mustang and worrying about gas mileage is like buying a hamburger from Mcdees and expecting it to be healty:cool::cool::cool:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh good! I thought you were going to complain about the gas mileage. Yeah, mine was horrible (6 or 7 mpg) but with the GV I get closer to 10 (and more smiles per miles).

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Oh good! I thought you were going to complain about the gas mileage. Yeah, mine was horrible (6 or 7 mpg) but with the GV I get closer to 10 (and more smiles per miles).

roflroflrofl

Im, just excited to have an old car that works, for gas mileage i have a Toyota Yaris:D but is no where as fun as the Mustang

I was going to be happy with 9 mpg as that was what I remember getting 43 yrs ago. I am now up to a little over 11 mpg so Iam a happy camper:-)

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

never considered even checking it

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=myimages&u=3961]My Mach[/button] [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=3961]Check out My Garage[/button]

We don't need no stinking MPG's we're having some fun now aint we Morg. I won't drive across the street to save a penny per gal either money for spending and you cant take it with you. Life is Short enjoy the drive.

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

The funny thing is, almost everybody that sees my car asks me about what kind of mileage i get, i tell them i get about 10 gallons to the mile, takes them a little time to get it

I'm actually more or less expecting something between 15-20, since I tossed in the AOD with the 3.00:1 rear end. If it works out, Awesome. If not... oh well. I've done my bit for fuel mileage with my Honda Civic (39mpg cartin' my big ass around with the A/C blowin').

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I was talking to a young gal at the gas station, she was driving a early 70's caddy convertible. Really nice car. Really big. She said she got 5 mpg.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

No matter what I drive, I don't get anything close to EPA estimates, I like using the go pedal for which it was intended. When I drive my wife's car (Jaguar X-Type) I'm always getting told I'm blowing her gas out the exhaust pipe. What fun is it driving like I am trying to set a mileage record? In other words, I could care less if I get 7mpg on my Mustang.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Guys,

My Mach 1 with a 460, toploader & 3:50 gear get 10-11 mpg on a highway run, period !!!

My Model A with a 351C, AOD & 4:11 gear gets 18 mpg on an 80 mph highway run. Keep in mind it has a very good carb tune & weighs 2300 lbs !!!

Others have mentioned previously that we do not have these cars to worry about gas mileage, is a correct statement and it is what it is !!!

Thanks, Jay

Although I don't expect my car to get excellent mileage, I won't be happy getting 100miles for $30+. I'm not the 'park and show' kind that isn't affected by mpg concerns, or the drag racer who thinks something is wrong if he gets more than 5mpg.

20 on the highway with OD would suit me fine.

• 9 months later...

The only reason I look at my gas gage is to see when I need to refill. Mileage if I thought about it or gave a rats ass I'd be driving a Prius.

Does this look like a Toyota Prius?

image1.jpg.0b7a3f9eea875a49428556137361c8d6.jpg

Going fast is fun but life is short so slow down and enjoy the ride :D Frank

I calculate that I get roughly 20 smiles per gallon

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

I think I maybe get 10 miles per gallon, but the fun factor seriously out weighs the lack of economy with our car:)

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

I checked it a few times just for laughs with my '71 Mach 1 J-Code 429, top loader, and 3.50 rear. It was 7 MPG, well technically I recall 6.6 MPG one of the times. :) But anytime I stop at the gas station to fill up someone will walk over out of the blue and have a 10 minute chat regarding the car and some memory it triggered. Where I live people don't generally open up to strangers, and getting gas at a self-serve station is usually like being in an elevator where no one looks or talks to one another. A guy in dress slacks and a white shirt walked from the other side of the gas station mini-mart parking lot one time, and as I saw him walking over out of the corner of my eye I thought what the heck does this guy want. He knelt down and breathed in the lingering rich exhaust fumes since I had just turned it off (new cars just don't have that smell), and then proceeded to tell me how his dad worked at a Ford dealership in the 70's and had a number of Mustangs and Torinos when he was a kid. Good stuff...