My cleveland died

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Well I am sad to inform you all that for the second time in a year my oil pump locked up on my cleveland causing the pump shaft to snap in half. Last time it sheared the roll pin on the distributor but I was able to free up the oil pump with some finessing and holding my mouth right. After that scare we promptly changed out the valve stem seals and gave it a couple of back to back oil changes but always knew it could happen again, it did. Well the engine is on a stand, me and my son are doing a full rebuild on it over the next year or so with a cam upgrade, better compression, cylinder head work, etc.

The sort of good news is the 357w with less than 300 miles on it out of my foxbody is going in this weekend to tide us over while we rebuild the cleveland. I already have everything needed for the swap and this will only be a temporary engine so the cost of getting back on the road wont be too bad to do what we have to do. The specs on the engine are a D2AE block, 9.5 to 1 compression, comp 280 magnum cam .512"/.512" lift, professionally ported and polished heads, stealth intake, 600 carb, duraspark etc.

I will let everyone know how it turns out, the whole 351w windsor in a 71-73 bugs me a little but it will be fun little motor in the meantime:D

Oh definately, I am leaning towards a chunk of hardened up valve stem seal. The engine still turns over fine so hopefully it won't be to bad to rebuild.

It's difficult for me to imagine that a bit of hard rubber or plastic small enough to pass through the pickup screen would be enough to lock up an oil pump. I've seen needle bearings from roller lifters lock up the pump, sheared roll pins from high volume oil pumps, and a twisted 302 oil pump driveshaft from running 20w-50 and cold taching the engine.

Stranger things have happened I guess.

Quick update, both engines are pulled and we are waiting on a front sump oil pan and pickup for the windsor. Hope to have the w in the car by the end of the weekend and tie up miscellaneous bs next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back