I need a pick up truck

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
So I have been watching craigslist and waiting for the right one to come along. I am going to look at one after work today that might fit the bill.

1971 Ford F 100 Custom

The engine is a 302 with screw in freeze plugs in the block, and built using 351 Cleveland heads . . .

It is in front of a 3 speed manual that won't last if I buy it as I have a Toploader and shifter in my storage along with a few other goodies.

I have a rather interesting plan for it as I also have a rear suspension and differential from a Lincoln LS and have a line on a Crown Vic front end.

I'm thinking a lowered (slammed perhaps) IRS equipped truck might be a lot of fun

This thread I found is pretty similar to what I want to do, but I'll stay with a small block and manual transmission

http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61554

Last edited by a moderator:
The truck I'm going to look at is pretty clean from the pictures. It will need the seat replaced I suspect and I'd like buckets anyway-there are always some leather buckets cheap on Craigslist-just have to make them fit. My goal is to not spend a bunch, but to get something really unique.

It probably won't make a great tow vehicle, but loading a motorcycle in back will be easy LOL!

Don't forget the air compressor and air horns. I always wanted to put a train locomotive air horn on the truck I had. Then scare the crap out of anyone who tailgates me :)

The truck I'm going to look at is pretty clean from the pictures. It will need the seat replaced I suspect and I'd like buckets anyway-there are always some leather buckets cheap on Craigslist-just have to make them fit. My goal is to not spend a bunch, but to get something really unique.

It probably won't make a great tow vehicle, but loading a motorcycle in back will be easy LOL!
Forgive me if I see your statement regarding it's suitability as a towing vehicle to be a profound understatement. If the heads are 4V then you have an epic mismatch on your hands. LOL!

Sounds like a fun and interesting idea for a build. If you do it, please post your progress.

Sounds like a fun project, and you'll wind up with something that will be very nice.

I agree with Tommy, why would anyone put Cleveland heads on a 302, unless they were trying to build a Boss 302?

Please use something better than the pallets for blocking up the truck, even with the 4x4s stuck in them I don't think it's very stable, you want to be around to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

And much better than this:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-why-women-out-live-men

well the truck yesterday was not as advertised in so many ways I nearly burned rubber getting away-more candidates to inspect in the near future.

I will not use pallets or improvised jack stands of any kind.

Yes, I know towing is not in the realm of the truck I would build, beyond a light small trailer full of beer and free bikinis

I have a bumpside... It's currently acting as a storage system in my garage. :D

0605151854_zpsqoje3rkw.jpg

If you do have a need to tow.. I do have a '73 F-350 for sale.

0518151715a_zpsfrkmqu1d.jpg

I have been jonesing for a truck as well lately. I do a lot of projects and seem to make tons of trips to home depot and have to play tetris with wood to get it to fit into my wife's GMC Acadia. I was looking at two drastically different trucks, a 1967 F100 and a 1951 Chevy. After looking at the pictures on the forum of the 71 F100, I actually like the body style a lot! Think I will look around for one...

I love my 66 F-100. Last of the rounded/curvy Ford trucks. Still FE powered and easy to hot rod. I still use it to tow and haul. But I'm still careful with it. The restoration went a bit over the top for what I had planned. I still love it.

IMG_2316_zps12876c5d.jpg

IMG_2148_zpscf11f889.jpg

IMG_1577-1_zps83b05d22.jpg

My Dad toyed with a '64 shortbed years ago. Was originally a 6 banger 3 speed - toad.

Volare' front subframe (disc brakes) was an easy swap, with a (bit too long) 3.00 geared (bit too tall) Lincoln Town Car 8.8 rear. Put a stock 5.0/AOD from a Cougar under the hood, converted back to carb intake. The torsion bars are adjustable for height and ride like a cloud.

Chevy Astro tilt steering column fit up to the Volare' box with minimal effort.

A '88-99 Chevy Cheyenne (dump truck takeout) bench seat dropped right in. The thin foam let it fit the small cab well.

Fun and functional.

Ended up finally buying a F 250 this past fall. Have it driveable, but still needs some more attention to be done, but I gues when you buy a 1996 truck in 2019, that's to be expected.

I'd post a picture but it is uglier than I am so. . .

5.8 E40D 2x4 standard cab long bed white with rust highlights

Back