1972 sprint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff717

Reaction score
My Car
1972 sprint fastback mustang
Hi guys I just purchased a 1972 sprint fastback. I will be doing a a mild restoration on it to get it on the road (it has been in storage for 15 years) I will be asking advice on many things. I have already learned a ton from this site and I look forward to learning more. Here r a few pics of the car to start

Hi guys I just purchased a 1972 sprint fastback. I will be doing a a mild restoration on it to get it on the road (it has been in storage for 15 years) I will be asking advice on many things. I have already learned a ton from this site and I look forward to learning more. Here r a few pics of the car to start

Looks to be in very nice condition. Only two things are obvious - you need a urethane front bumper and you'll have to decide whether to keep the non-stock rear spoiler. It's hard to undo holes drilled in your trunk lid.

I like the spoiler and the front air dam lol I may even mismatch it even more and put a nasa hood on it

if you put a NASA hood on it, Don't throw out the flat hood, its not reproduced, and most likely won't be!!

they are very hard to come by in decent condition.

To me, the rear spoiler looks out of place with the black paint. I would paint it white or matching the blue.

It's a good looking car. Is the Mustang emblem on the truck loose? It looks like it is at a weird angle.

It is just a sticker. Here is a crappy pic of how I was gonna paint a naca hood

Looks like you got a set of 73 factory aluminum wheels in the deal. I sold the only set of Sprint blue ring hub caps it had to another member last year. You can paint your own if you switch to them. Got them off a convertible I bought for parts.

Your car could have got a spoiler at factory. It would have to have a six digit DSO code and it would show up on the build sheet but not on a Marti. It would be a special order car for paint or trim and Marti did not get those records.

Do what you like on the car it is yours.

Looks like you got a set of 73 factory aluminum wheels in the deal. I sold the only set of Sprint blue ring hub caps it had to another member last year. You can paint your own if you switch to them. Got them off a convertible I bought for parts.

Your car could have got a spoiler at factory. It would have to have a six digit DSO code and it would show up on the build sheet but not on a Marti. It would be a special order car for paint or trim and Marti did not get those records.

Do what you like on the car it is yours.
I do like the 73 aluminum rims. If I do change anything though; it would be to go to a set of Magnum 500s I think

So my next purchase was a ram air breather. I had quite the debate whether to go aftermarket or stock. I really liked the stock ones but they were far too expensive. Then I found one three hours away from me that is in excellent condition complete with the Plenum and All vacuum hoses for $500. The only drawback is that I have to rebuild both the vacuum actuators on the Plenum.

So my next purchase was a ram air breather. I had quite the debate whether to go aftermarket or stock. I really liked the stock ones but they were far too expensive. Then I found one three hours away from me that is in excellent condition complete with the Plenum and All vacuum hoses for $500. The only drawback is that I have to rebuild both the vacuum actuators on the Plenum.

When you referb the air cleaner remember that Ram Air lids did not have any engine sticker on them. They had "Ram Air" lettered on the outside of the hood on both sides but no decal on the air cleaner. Most people put one on from a previous model that say ram air but they are incorrect.

That was a great price for the ram air if you got the under hood plenum.

Awesome thanks for the information I thought that was the correct sticker. Shows how much I know LOL I did get the Plenum with it although one of the previous owners had painted it! :( So I am in the middle of stripping the paint off it right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Back