Heat shield installed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I am looking for a photo of the heat shield installed on a 351 Cleveland. I think I have all the parts now and want to make sure I install it correctly. A drawing would also work.

John J

Not much to installing it but a little tight to get into the right position. Notice that there are two studs that hold the manifold on then the shield attaches to these with nuts. The other exhaust manifold bolts are the regular ones with heads on them.

2cwrfog.png

Having scrapped or saved many 351C engines I can say that the heat shield is not one of Fords better ideas.

Every 351C that managed to keep its factory heat shield that I encountered had a cracked exhaust manifold on that side.

All cracked at the same location - rear of the manifold just past the last port right where the heat shield stops.

I would not use them on a car that will be driven much - show car would be OK - but you are going to be risking your manifold and from recent experience they are getting harder to find.

I wish I still had all of the 4V manifolds that I have tossed out over the years.

- Paul

Back