Stabilizer Door Glass

All,

So i am in the process of refurbishing the hardware and parts for my 1973 mustang. When I came to the 22380 Stabilizer - Door Window Glass Inner, Before 1/18/1971 # D1ZZ-22380-A and After 1/18/1971, well this part is looking a bit worn. Lets see if we can find some NOS pieces. So far on that front, goose eggs. Zippo! So, lets rebuild them.

So, when I started to work on them, huh, what is this fuzzy material on the front side? Wow, this might tough to find. I could buy others, but they are 40 plus years old too!

Has anybody found a substitute material to replace the original? I have a Mill Outlet fabric store that I am going to visit to see what I can find.

90ucyf.jpg

zam3q.jpg

2hmhcog.jpg

mutang7173 :D

All,

I did find the GM alt Not been built glass stabilizer that has some type of soft material that might work for this restore project.

2rmm8zt.jpg

mustang7173 :D

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

I bought some fuzzy material a few years back from NPD. It was sold as the material for the door glass runners on a 65. It looks very similar to what you have.

Hello Judge,

Thank You for the information. I will take a look.

I bought some fuzzy material a few years back from NPD. It was sold as the material for the door glass runners on a 65. It looks very similar to what you have.

All,

I found this Tempest window door rub felt kit @

https://www.opgi.com/tempest/1971/window/window-hardware/CH30612/

Home website: https://www.opgi.com/

I will let you know how it looks nd feels when I get the product. They limited supply.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

I rebuilt my Fox mustang guides using basic felt from a craft store.

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs

'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...

'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater - SOLD

'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor

MotoArts,

Did you replace padding also? I plan replacing that also since it colapsed on the edge that is against the glass.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

On the Fox car, there are just the guides (look very similar to the flat brown things shown), some OE square plastic snap in guides and IIRC some U channel tracks that I relined. I did not replace any of the fuzzies or anything at the top of the door.

After 6+ hours of forearm slicing, smearing grease everywhere, adjusting and cussing, both windows were reinstalled with minimal change in function.

They still suck. Flop fore and aft.

Now one of my rear quarter windows quit. Not looking forward to that job either.

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs

'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...

'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater - SOLD

'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor

Like Motoarts, I replaced my worn 73 vert window guide material with a combination of heavy felt and an under layer of rubber sheeting cut to fit back in the mid-90's. Has worked fine ever since.

I looked at the Tempest material. That will most likely work just fine. Make sure your adhesive is waterproof.

Bill73Ragtop,

do you have the URL for their website?

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

All,

I have received the window felt kit https://www.opgi.com/ and I was a little bit surprised by what I received. It sure looks like it is from one side of a Velcro felt set. Here are some pictures of the kit.

2cqmd86.jpg

wr116r.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think!

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

Elizabeth73,

Yes it does!

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

That is not what the website picture shows. If it is velcro, it's nylon and may create brush marks on the glass. I would return it and look for better (softer) material.

Hello Bill73Ragtop,

The product is fine. Just feels like the one side of the felt side of the Velcro set. Or should I say, the non loop side.

Thanks

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Found this information on the patent for the Automotive window glass stabilizer.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5607198

It has some good information on the construction and materials used.

29upqbq.jpg

Source: U.S. Patent

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

• 1 year later...

All,

Still trying out other materials for the inner door glass stabilizers. Here I went to a Fabric Outlet store and got some canvas, contact cement and weather strip to replace the black foam materiel.

o6cw1l.jpg

242vk1j.jpg

51enet.jpg

3wlmx.jpg

Another possible solution is this from E-Bay

1968-72 GM A-body Front Door Glass Window Guides Fabric Covering Rub Material

1zccpb5.jpg

This may be the one. I will let ya'll know.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

All,

I have received the 1968-72 GM A-body Front Door Glass Window Guides Fabric product today. It has a fabric feel to it. With the Magnifying glass, I can see itty bitty fabric bumps. Elizabeth73 asked if the previous solution felt like Velcro, I stated yes it does. Now, since I found some industrial Velcro, there is a difference in the material. Would the industrial strength Velcro work, I believe so.

Just received-

33m68o0.jpg

25643yh.jpg

Industrial Strength Velcro

2q1bd6t.jpg

104iaf5.jpg

Keep you posted-

mustang7173 :bravo:

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

If you look in my thread here http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-glass-install Scroll down a bit there's a picture.

I used self stick felt I wanna say around 1/16" -1/8" Thick ,don't remember where I got it but I've done quite a few cars over the years with it no issues.

You can get different sizes thickness here https://www.grainger.com/category/felt-sheets-and-strips/felt/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-c14

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

• 1 year later...

Good Day To All,

Update. I was asked about window stabilizers this week. How are they working. Well, it was 9 degrees this morning, opened the passenger side door and the glass rolled up and down with no squeaks. It was really smooth.

1973_mustang_window_stable_0.jpg

1973_mustang_window_stable_1.jpg

uploading a photo

I started to look for the felt kit that I used and ran across a kit that is very similar to ours. Now, how on to your horse shoes!!!. They are for the 1968 - 1969 Camaro Door Window Glass Guide Anti-Rattle Fuzzy Felt Material

Camaro_glass_guide.gif

https://www.camarocentral.com/1968_1969_Window_Anti_Rattle_Fuzzy_Material_p/dwn-400.htm

Got them on order.

I also found 1970 - 1981 Camaro Door Window Glass Guide Anti-Rattle Fuzzy Felt Material

Camaro_felt_0.jpg

https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1981_Camaro_Door_Panel_Guides_Fuzzy_Material_p/dwn-405.htm

This may not work in the right direction.

Anyway, I will update this thread once I have the new stuff in hand.

Cheers!

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

I did basically the same thing, I found some closed cell foam that was the same thickness, cut it to fit, and went to a local fabric shop and found some fabric that was almost identical to the original and it has been working great. I think the key is just a good heavy soft fabric.

All,

I may have found the fix to the window stabilizer pads. I just received the Anti-rattle strip for the 68-69 F-Body camaros.

window_stablizer_3.jpg

window_stablizer_4.jpg

uploaded photo

window_stablizer_5.jpg

how to upload a picture on the internet

window_stablizer_0.jpg

window_stablizer_1.jpg

window_stablizer_2.jpg

photo upload on internet

The pictures with the new anti-rattle is an worn out original. I will update this week once it gets warm again.

mustand7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

• 1 month later...

All,

I may have found the fix to the window stabilizer pads. I just received the Anti-rattle strip for the 68-69 F-Body camaros.

window_stablizer_3.jpg

window_stablizer_4.jpg

uploaded photo

window_stablizer_5.jpg

how to upload a picture on the internet

window_stablizer_0.jpg

window_stablizer_1.jpg

window_stablizer_2.jpg

photo upload on internet

The pictures with the new anti-rattle is an worn out original. I will update this week once it gets warm again.

mustand7173

Hi, do you have an update on how it all worked out?  It looks like you're on the right track!  

I need to tackle this same project in the next few weeks.

Scott

Hello Scott,

I will work on it this weekend. The weather is finally starting to cooperate. I would almost suggest to get two strips to do the four pieces.

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸