Stabilizer Door Glass

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

So i am in the process of refurbishing the hardware and parts for my 1973 mustang. When I came to the 22380 Stabilizer - Door Window Glass Inner, Before 1/18/1971 # D1ZZ-22380-A and After 1/18/1971, well this part is looking a bit worn. Lets see if we can find some NOS pieces. So far on that front, goose eggs. Zippo! So, lets rebuild them.

So, when I started to work on them, huh, what is this fuzzy material on the front side? Wow, this might tough to find. I could buy others, but they are 40 plus years old too!

Has anybody found a substitute material to replace the original? I have a Mill Outlet fabric store that I am going to visit to see what I can find.

90ucyf.jpg

zam3q.jpg

2hmhcog.jpg

mutang7173 :D

All,

I did find the GM alt Not been built glass stabilizer that has some type of soft material that might work for this restore project.

2rmm8zt.jpg

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some fuzzy material a few years back from NPD. It was sold as the material for the door glass runners on a 65. It looks very similar to what you have.

Hello Judge,

Thank You for the information. I will take a look.

I bought some fuzzy material a few years back from NPD. It was sold as the material for the door glass runners on a 65. It looks very similar to what you have.

All,

I found this Tempest window door rub felt kit @

https://www.opgi.com/tempest/1971/window/window-hardware/CH30612/

Home website: https://www.opgi.com/

I will let you know how it looks nd feels when I get the product. They limited supply.

mustang7173

I rebuilt my Fox mustang guides using basic felt from a craft store.

On the Fox car, there are just the guides (look very similar to the flat brown things shown), some OE square plastic snap in guides and IIRC some U channel tracks that I relined. I did not replace any of the fuzzies or anything at the top of the door.

After 6+ hours of forearm slicing, smearing grease everywhere, adjusting and cussing, both windows were reinstalled with minimal change in function.

They still suck. Flop fore and aft.

Now one of my rear quarter windows quit. Not looking forward to that job either.

Like Motoarts, I replaced my worn 73 vert window guide material with a combination of heavy felt and an under layer of rubber sheeting cut to fit back in the mid-90's. Has worked fine ever since.

I looked at the Tempest material. That will most likely work just fine. Make sure your adhesive is waterproof.

All,

I have received the window felt kit https://www.opgi.com/ and I was a little bit surprised by what I received. It sure looks like it is from one side of a Velcro felt set. Here are some pictures of the kit.

2cqmd86.jpg

wr116r.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think!

That is not what the website picture shows. If it is velcro, it's nylon and may create brush marks on the glass. I would return it and look for better (softer) material.

All,

Still trying out other materials for the inner door glass stabilizers. Here I went to a Fabric Outlet store and got some canvas, contact cement and weather strip to replace the black foam materiel.

o6cw1l.jpg

242vk1j.jpg

51enet.jpg

3wlmx.jpg

Another possible solution is this from E-Bay

1968-72 GM A-body Front Door Glass Window Guides Fabric Covering Rub Material

1zccpb5.jpg

This may be the one. I will let ya'll know.

mustang7173

All,

I have received the 1968-72 GM A-body Front Door Glass Window Guides Fabric product today. It has a fabric feel to it. With the Magnifying glass, I can see itty bitty fabric bumps. Elizabeth73 asked if the previous solution felt like Velcro, I stated yes it does. Now, since I found some industrial Velcro, there is a difference in the material. Would the industrial strength Velcro work, I believe so.

Just received-

33m68o0.jpg

25643yh.jpg

Industrial Strength Velcro

2q1bd6t.jpg

104iaf5.jpg

Keep you posted-

mustang7173 :bravo:

Good Day To All,

Update. I was asked about window stabilizers this week. How are they working. Well, it was 9 degrees this morning, opened the passenger side door and the glass rolled up and down with no squeaks. It was really smooth.

uploading a photo

I started to look for the felt kit that I used and ran across a kit that is very similar to ours. Now, how on to your horse shoes!!!. They are for the 1968 - 1969 Camaro Door Window Glass Guide Anti-Rattle Fuzzy Felt Material

https://www.camarocentral.com/1968_1969_Window_Anti_Rattle_Fuzzy_Material_p/dwn-400.htm

Got them on order.

I also found 1970 - 1981 Camaro Door Window Glass Guide Anti-Rattle Fuzzy Felt Material

https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1981_Camaro_Door_Panel_Guides_Fuzzy_Material_p/dwn-405.htm

This may not work in the right direction.

Anyway, I will update this thread once I have the new stuff in hand.

Cheers!

mustang7173

Back