72 torque converter for Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hi,

I am trying to find a torque converter for my 72 Mach 1 with a C6. The stock one I pulled off is 10" and has a 9 1/2" bolt pattern.

The problem I'm having is finding a torque converter with a 9 1/2" bolt pattern. Apparently Ford only used this set-up for a very short time, maybe 72 only?

I tried all the Jegs and Summit stuff including B&M, ACC, Hughes, Jegs.

Any ideas??

Thanks

The 72-73 "Q" 351 C6 ran a high stall torque converter rated around 2850 rpm's (lock up speed). The 72's had an 8 stud converter and matching flywheel. Sometime near the 73 introduction Ford discontinued the 72 parts and replaced them with the 4 stud 73 numbers. I've been around Ford's my entire life so I can say this is typical of how confusing they can make things. If you liked how your transmission performed and would like to stay with your present setup, I would suggest that you check RockAuto.com web site and see about the "Rebuild and Return" program. At least you would know exactly what you were getting. The chance of finding someone at a parts house familiar with a 40+ year old car with this type of converter would be slim. A lot a 72's that needed a replacement converter in the past 40 years probably had a flywheel and the incorrect converter installed since most people just didn't know about this special converter and most of their catalogs had no listing for such an application.

At one time Ford did offer a remanufactured 8 and 4 stud converter, but they have long since been discontinued.

I tend to ramble on sometimes, but hopefully some of this information will help with your project. Good Luck!

You could also change the flexplate to one that accepts the standard bolt pattern so you can use a "not so special" torque converter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I have to do more investigating if the 72's had an 8 bolt converter! The one I took off has 4 so maybe it's not original.

Car was built 4/72

Going to take a closer look at the flexplate today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure but I thought the unique bolt pattern was only for the high stall CJ converters. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Correct, the 72 Q code came with a high stall converter, 2750-2900.

Upon further investigation, the flexplate does have 8 holes in a 9.5" pattern. The converter I took off has no markings and was a 4 bolt, using half of the holes. I'm assuming it was replaced at some point, although the other 4 holes in the flexplate do not looked disturbed at all. The plot thickens. :)

Not sure if this helps you but here is a pic of my 73 351 CJ flex plate. I couldn't find a pic of the torque converter but it was very small and from the shop manual I recall it was in the 2500 stall range. You can see on the flex plate that it only used 4 bolts out of a total of 8. The original markings from the factory on it are visible in light blue color.

On the torque converter there was a single "B" marking on the outside edge between studs and this was the only identification. According to the shop manual that was the designation for the high stall converter. Look at yours very closely on outside edge for a marking.

2vjwoyo.jpg

Not sure if this helps you but here is a pic of my 73 351 CJ flex plate. I couldn't find a pic of the torque converter but it was very small and from the shop manual I recall it was in the 2500 stall range. You can see on the flex plate that it only used 4 bolts out of a total of 8. The original markings from the factory on it are visible in light blue color.

On the torque converter there was a single "B" marking on the outside edge between studs and this was the only identification. According to the shop manual that was the designation for the high stall converter. Look at yours very closely on outside edge for a marking.
Thanks for the pic. My flex plate looks exactly like yours with the obvious 4 holes used.

I didn't find a "B" marking on the converter, but did find a "6 9" on the stud side edge.

I said earlier that the bolt pattern was 9.5", but it actually measures 9 3/8" or 9.375. All I could find in that pattern is for a C4 transmission. It's surely a C6.

Try this link...

Looks like it is 2607 or 2608 as the smaller one's were the high stall. Difference between two is 4 vs 8 studs.

http://www.gopnh.com/Transmissions.cfm?Transmission_id_cat=C6

Here is another piece of info...
great!

I will try these 2. If no luck I will just switch out the flex plate with one that has a common bolt pattern. I assume something available will have the correct pitch etc.

Thanks for the help

TommyK's post gave you the correct information and solution. You will not find an aftermarket convertor that matches the CJ bolt pattern, I've been down this dirt road. Just get a regular, non-CJ, flexplate and pick the stall speed you want. The convertor you have is the stock convertor. Chuck

TommyK's post gave you the correct information and solution. You will not find an aftermarket convertor that matches the CJ bolt pattern, I've been down this dirt road. Just get a regular, non-CJ, flexplate and pick the stall speed you want. The convertor you have is the stock convertor. Chuck
Thank you

Any special part number on the flexplate? One for a 71 M code or a 72 2v?

I am sure Chuck and Tommy gave you the right info. I believe that the link I gave you was for a rebuilt OEM converter. If that's the case then you should be good to go. I would just give the company a call and ask.

Thank you

Any special part number on the flexplate? One for a 71 M code or a 72 2v?
No special part number. A flex plate for a 71-74 351C 2v should work. 164 tooth 28.2 oz imbalance. I believe it is the same wheel for 302, 351W, 351C, maybe others. Should be about $55 from pioneer. Chuck

Great

A big thanks to EVERYONE. Now I know what my options are.

Hope to have the car back on the road soon. I figured while I'm fixing all the mouse damage, I will take care of some other things I put off before I parked it.

Great

A big thanks to EVERYONE. Now I know what my options are.

Hope to have the car back on the road soon. I figured while I'm fixing all the mouse damage, I will take care of some other things I put off before I parked it.
If you wanna pay the shipping im pretty sure I have one in the garage you can have.

This guy is local to me and has been trying to sell this torque converter for about a year now.

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/pts/5063398434.html

Thanks but I have decided on the standard flex plate and a new 2800-3200 converter. Parts ordered.

I will keep the originals and have the converter re-built someday, since I am an big on originality.

Thanks again everyone, case closed.

Back