Convertible Boot Molding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
This eBay Listing is the first I've seen of reproduction 71/73 Convertible Boot Moldings (hockey sticks). This item has been on my wish list for a long time as my original ones are showing their age. A few months ago there was an eBay listing for some re-chromed ones for something like $888.00.

I don't see them listed at Ohio Mustang Supply or CJ Pony Parts either. Has anyone seen or bought these; I'm wondering about the quality? Or has anyone seen them available anywhere else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I found those moldings in an Ebay store a while ago. Someone also had repros of the rear seat side trim panels for convertibles for sale. I haven't found those parts with any of usual suspects so far.

The moldings are on my wishlist too, but I don't know about their quality either.

$888 is a complete rip off. It's been there for years, no one in the right mind would that much. Easy solution, take yours only if there in good condition to a Chrome plating shop and have them rechrome it. You can probably get it done between $150 to $300. If yours are in bad shape you can buy used ones that needs rechroming for cheap. I did just that & mine look brand spankin new. I'll post pics later, but that's the best way for me.

Good luck.

$888 is a complete rip off. It's been there for years, no one in the right mind would that much. Easy solution, take yours only if there in good condition to a Chrome plating shop and have them rechrome it. You can probably get it done between $150 to $300. If yours are in bad shape you can buy used ones that needs rechroming for cheap. I did just that & mine look brand spankin new. I'll post pics later, but that's the best way for me.

Good luck.
Mine have a few pits, but not too bad. Do they smoooth them out when rechroming? Who did you use to rechrome yours and how long did they take?

Mine had some pits as well and looked horrible. Yes they did smooth them out, sanded, cleaned, polished, then re-chromed. Whatever process they used, worked for me. I live in Maryland & this place is in kensington,md. Let me know if you want more info on the shop. You can probably talk to the owner, about shipping it if ur not local, pay by cc or paypal,& have it shipped back.

Just an FYI,only hockey sticks needs rechroming, center piece is stainless steel (cheap labor).

Hope this helps, good luck.

That's a great price if the quality is decent. I had the hockey sticks for my 69 vert re-chromed a couple years ago (Qual-Chrome, Erie, PA) and they ran over $400. Lifetime guarantee may have had something to do with the $$.

On my 73, the hockey sticks are it's only real weak point. They're original and have some very minor pitting and one scratch (typically costs me 1 point). Kinda wondering if I should go ahead and replace with repro's like that or go with rechroming. It usually takes about 5 - 7 weeks for rechroming so I usually have it done in the fall when I'm putting the car away for winter.

That's a great price if the quality is decent. I had the hockey sticks for my 69 vert re-chromed a couple years ago (Qual-Chrome, Erie, PA) and they ran over $400. Lifetime guarantee may have had something to do with the $$.

On my 73, the hockey sticks are it's only real weak point. They're original and have some very minor pitting and one scratch (typically costs me 1 point). Kinda wondering if I should go ahead and replace with repro's like that or go with rechroming. It usually takes about 5 - 7 weeks for rechroming so I usually have it done in the fall when I'm putting the car away for winter.
I'm curious about the quality of the reproduction ones so I would like to hear from someone that has bought them; so someone post up if you bought a pair.

Mine have been drilled for snaps 'all around'. It's easier to put the boot on but not nearly as clean of a look.
I´ve been contemplating that idea too. I just haven´t talked myself into it yet. I never put the top boot on because it is too much fiddling.

This eBay Listing is the first I've seen of reproduction 71/73 Convertible Boot Moldings (hockey sticks). This item has been on my wish list for a long time as my original ones are showing their age. A few months ago there was an eBay listing for some re-chromed ones for something like $888.00.

I don't see them listed at Ohio Mustang Supply or CJ Pony Parts either. Has anyone seen or bought these; I'm wondering about the quality? Or has anyone seen them available anywhere else?
I thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has bought the repo convertible boot moldings previously listed on eBay.

eBay Listing

The listing has expired, but they were selling for $275.00 plus $25 shipping. I'm trying to work these into my budget, but may still go the re-chroming route.

So has anyone seen or purchased these yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates on rechoming. Mine have mild scratches and I'm wondering if I should have them redone. They are really clean and won't need much work. Would like to hear what people paid to have them redone.

I use AIH in Dubuque Iowa. They do plating for Victory motorcycles to keep the lights on and custom work for other major manufacturers. They do the plating on the metal bits of the Aston Martin keys - they were the only plater that would guarantee a thickness so the key would fit in the dash. They also do unbelievable work on all manner of restoration parts. They can straighten bumpers, repair potmetal parts like the convertible trim. I have seen them restore '50's bumper ends where exhaust pipes had been routed through them. The caustic exhaust and condensation rots the bumpers away from the inside - their repairs are undetectable. Their work has a lifetime guarantee - if their plating fails for any reason, they redo it - no questions asked. They put order numbers on the part in hidden places to identify parts.

They are not cheap and they are not fast, but their work is astounding. Typical pricing is $600 for a front or rear bumper, and I believe I paid around $200 each for the convertible trim. They drill out the pits and pops, fill the voids with silver solder and then start prepping the part for plating. I have had them do all of the plating for my car, so if anyone is interested in photos, let me know.

Have you considered reproduction moldings? West Coast Cougar has a pair for $350.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/07041492.html
Mustangs Unlimited has the same part for $379 free shipping.

they could not guarantee fitment, I questioned it last year at one of there car shows.

they brought the part outside and matched it up, it looked the same, I just couldn't spend the $379 that day.

A good portion of my working was in the Zinc die casting business. I actually set one up and got it rolling for another person. The hockey sticks would be a difficult part to cast and get the surface of the zinc good for plating. By that I mean you have to get the tool hot before you get good parts and the gates that allow the zinc in and then overflows that let the zinc that has cooled during the flow out. This creates a skin with a much finer grain than the core. If you have a zinc part that is broken look at the edge and you can see the skin.

The pits you see in your old parts are more than likely caused by the PH in the quench tank, when originally cast, not being correct and is caused by internal oxidation.

When you send for re-plating most will reverse the plating process to remove most of the old plating. They then remove the corroded material in the pits, grind, drill etc. and TIG weld up using zinc. They then sand, polish, copper plate and polish and repeat this until the surface is perfect. Then it goes to nickel plate which is a little dull but adds the protection and then it gets a very thin flash plating with chrome to make it shiny.

The EPA would love to shut down all chrome plating and are tough on them. As long as a plating operation is running the ground and building do not have to be perfectly clean. If you shut one down then you are in for a huge expense of cleaning and probably removing soil that is contaminated. I worked with National Lock and we did lots of decorative castings, stamping and some automotive. We even plated the penny blanks for the U.S. mint and also for the Mexico mint. We were bought out and closed by the competition, Anchor Hocking. The removal & clean up of the two plating lines was over $7,000,000. If they had kept it going there would have been no cost. There was not even a weed growing outside the area where the exhaust vented. Wish it was still open could get stuff plated for free. There were rows of buffers and someone was always out of work with broken hand due to part getting thrown by buffer. A big part of the cost is to cover the EPA issues they have and nothing to do with the process with is very cheap. A skilled person on the grinder buffer could do the hockey sticks in a few minutes.

I also have a set of the trim pieces with the snaps. Going to use on a trailer made from the back of a vert.

David

I use AIH in Dubuque Iowa. They do plating for Victory motorcycles to keep the lights on and custom work for other major manufacturers. They do the plating on the metal bits of the Aston Martin keys - they were the only plater that would guarantee a thickness so the key would fit in the dash. They also do unbelievable work on all manner of restoration parts. They can straighten bumpers, repair potmetal parts like the convertible trim. I have seen them restore '50's bumper ends where exhaust pipes had been routed through them. The caustic exhaust and condensation rots the bumpers away from the inside - their repairs are undetectable. Their work has a lifetime guarantee - if their plating fails for any reason, they redo it - no questions asked. They put order numbers on the part in hidden places to identify parts.

They are not cheap and they are not fast, but their work is astounding. Typical pricing is $600 for a front or rear bumper, and I believe I paid around $200 each for the convertible trim. They drill out the pits and pops, fill the voids with silver solder and then start prepping the part for plating. I have had them do all of the plating for my car, so if anyone is interested in photos, let me know.
I will give a +1 on AIH in Dubuque. They have done several parts for me in the past. I've know Lyle for quite a few a years. My business used to rent some warehouse space from him down in the same building complex.

I've had a couple sets rechromed. Paul's in northeast U.S. did a set. Royal Silver in Norfolk VA did another. They were about $200-$225 to rechromed a pair. Both did great work. Paul's was done in 2003, Royal in 2011, they both still look freshly done.

Back