1970 Detroit Auto Show

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
The Boss 351 was introduced to the public at the Detroit Auto Show on November 21. 1970. I have been searching a long time for any related pictures or documentation.

Well thanks to Mr. Adrian M Clements and the Ford Archives, we finally have some pics!

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 1.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 2.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 3.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 4.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 5.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 6.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 7.jpg

1970 Detroit Auto Show pic 8.jpg

Ray

And if anyone doubted that Ford had/sold argent front spoilers for argent contrasting-colored cars - well doubt no more. That Boss 351 is 'sporting' an argent front chin spoiler. I learned a little with this one.

Good point about the 'Boss type" side stripes on that Mach 1... Hmmm.

I really like this recorded historical stuff.

Ray

And if anyone doubted that Ford had/sold argent front spoilers for argent contrasting-colored cars - well doubt no more. That Boss 351 is 'sporting' an argent front chin spoiler. I learned a little with this one.
I was just going to post the same thing - noticing the argent spoiler on the car.

Good point about the 'Boss type" side stripes on that Mach 1... Hmmm.
Looks like Ford offered up the hockey stripes at little earlier than "Late in the '71 model year," eh?

And what exactly is that green Mavrick "thing" in the middle of the first pic?

I wouldn't consider the pictures an example of what was distributed. Many of those cars have features that never saw production. We should consider all the cars shown as marketing tools.

I wouldn't consider the pictures an example of what was distributed. Many of those cars have features that never saw production. We should consider all the cars shown as marketing tools.

From the current information - other than the concept cars - all others at this show seem to be actual production cars. Even the Boss 351 is thought to be an actual production model. Remember this was the end of November 1970. So other than the Boss 351, most other models had been in production for at least three months.

There of course is a chance that front spoiler could have been painted by Ford or a local dealer who assisted with assembling this collection for the show.

The VIN and how/where the Boss was eventually sold is being investigated at this time.

Ray

Wow 1970 I would been 12. I wonder if I went to this one. My best friend at the time dad worked for Ford and we used to go all the time because it was free. To bad I can't remember anything from that long ago. It sucks to get old.

John J

You guys know I like to dig into this historical stuff.

Here is the license plate they attached to all the Ford cars at this show.

lic_plate.jpg

And here is the poster on the side of the big white FORD column - but reversed colors using dark blue and white letters.

Ford We listen better.JPG

Ray

Back