Window glass retaining clips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesozoic

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang fastback restomod. Caged, stiffened, lowered, on 17" wheels with 4 wheel disc brakes and Bilstein dampers. PST polygraphite suspension kit w/Mustangs Plus springs. Custom SEFI-EDIS8 EEC-V injection based on '96 Crown Vic harness (CDAN4 strategy). 90mm induction, LMAF, 80mm Accufab TB, Edelbrock Victor intake, 42# injectors, fully ported RHS Pro Action 215 heads, long tube headers. '69 351W stroked to 408 using Scat 4340 crank, H-beam rods, SRP pistons. Comp Cams 284 Magnum hydraulic roller cam, Canton windage tray and main girdle w/blueprinted standard pressure oil pump. Serpentine conversion using late model 5.0 parts. Backed by a built 4R70W, FB Performance 3000 RPM triple-disc converter, custom alum driveshaft, stock Ford 9" w/3.50:1 billet LS.
I'm referring to the little metal clips that mount to the upper part of the door and are presumably used to apply pressure to the window glass (when it's up) to keep it sealed against the weatherstrip. They appear to have been coated with some kind of durable plastic material at one point, but mine are worn down to bare metal and make the window squeak loudly.

I tried to apply some Plastikote rubberized coating on them and that did work briefly, but eventually tore off the clips because I think it was too tacky. Anyone have a solution for this?

I'm referring to the little metal clips that mount to the upper part of the door and are presumably used to apply pressure to the window glass (when it's up) to keep it sealed against the weatherstrip. They appear to have been coated with some kind of durable plastic material at one point, but mine are worn down to bare metal and make the window squeak loudly.

I tried to apply some Plastikote rubberized coating on them and that did work briefly, but eventually tore off the clips because I think it was too tacky. Anyone have a solution for this?
I don't believe they were coated with anything aside from black paint. If they are in rough shape, you can purchase replacements. Just pull back the weatherstrip. They are riveted in from the factory. I drilled the old ones out and used stainless screws to secure the new ones.

The repro 69 -70 clips have the coating

The repro 71-3 clips do not have it - but should have

Manufacturer said they will coat them next time but have several thousand non-coated ones to sell, before they make more.

Don

That squeaking sound is annoying as I have the same problem. As a temp fix I wrapped a single layer of electrical tape around the guide and that worked. Been thinking about a good solution and I am going to get some black heat shrink that's large enough to go over that piece and then put a heat gun to it to get a tight fit. I am thinking that will work.

:+1:

That squeaking sound is annoying as I have the same problem. As a temp fix I wrapped a single layer of electrical tape around the guide and that worked. Been thinking about a good solution and I am going to get some black heat shrink that's large enough to go over that piece and then put a heat gun to it to get a tight fit. I am thinking that will work.

I think I'm going to 3D print an interference fit/snap-in cover for these clips and hope it stays on. I'm pretty certain only something hard and rigid is going to work well.

Back