New to this site

scacer1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from Rhode Island

Pist up some pictures when you get a chance.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

Coupes, Mach 1's, Fastbacks, all are welcome here; you'll feel right at home. Show us your stuff.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Welcome from CA!

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

00Z0Z_iYRVBxTs2be_600x450.jpg.b52f3f678923e871a7169a155d33a1ea.jpg

00r0r_kOuQrtwHgzw_600x450.jpg.0cde1f10270d094a58eea0e282df4a26.jpg

00m0m_7RsY18To7sJ_600x450.jpg.e093ad7826b70b42c2c288383432840a.jpg

00l0l_elHaAyeqsHr_600x450.jpg.0f02465196df7c70abccb8d8fa46a558.jpg

00l0l_epf2zhKas3a_600x450.jpg.e9844dd9d8e0c45671fd1a3a0279ee43.jpg

00f0f_JIipSQ4sSu_600x450.jpg.3bfc290f92f3abd62300620cdf2e57f1.jpg

I am a few miles North of Spokane. Thanks for the warm welcome. After looking at the suspension and drivetrain it seems a little better than I figured. I will have to rebuild the engine, It is smoking a bit out of the left bank. Anyone know were I can get an untouched 351 W core from?

Nice car! Welcome to the site.

Do you have a 351 Windsor in the car???

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

New to site, Wanted to intro myself. Have owned 1972 and 1973 Mach1. Currently own 1972 Coupe. New Paint and Interior. Needs drivetrain work now.

::welcome::Am I right or am I right; 'this is an amazing site'!

I am a few miles North of Spokane. Thanks for the warm welcome. After looking at the suspension and drivetrain it seems a little better than I figured. I will have to rebuild the engine, It is smoking a bit out of the left bank. Anyone know were I can get an untouched 351 W core from?

::welcome::By 'left bank', do you mean, 'running it on a track'? Anyways, as long as it is not smoking out of the AC ducts.LOL Just had an 'Old Air Company' Hurricane model AC unit installed, had to install a 130 amp alternator w/built in regulator to keep everything running but on those hot, rainy/steamy days when my top has to stay up, its worth the comfort! 'Keep the faith'!
1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

New to site, Wanted to intro myself. Have owned 1972 and 1973 Mach1. Currently own 1972 Coupe. New Paint and Interior. Needs drivetrain work now.

::welcome::Am I right or am I right; 'this is an amazing site'!

::welcome::By 'left bank', do you mean, 'running it on a track'? Anyways, as long as it is not smoking out of the AC ducts.LOL Just had an 'Old Air Company' Hurricane model AC unit installed, had to install a 130 amp alternator w/built in regulator to keep everything running but on those hot, rainy/steamy days when my top has to stay up, its worth the comfort! 'Keep the faith'!

Pretty cool site. I haven't had a chance to really look through it yet but the people seem pretty amazing.

By left bank I mean left exhaust pipe. I am thinking of building a 351 Clevor for it. Edelbrock makes some nice aluminum heads and intake for this combo. Possibly stroked to a 408.

Howdy from Phoenix. I really like your car. I think the custom paint of the interior piece looks sharp.

Since someone already transplanted a Windsor into it I would stay with that platform and use the money to fix it up. There is a lot more aftermarket support for them. Clevlors are cool but it can limit options.

If I had that car with a Windsor I would seriously be considering a super charger. ;)

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Welcome from West Texas! Good lookin' car ::thumb::

Since you already have a running engine in there, as others have mentioned I'd stick with it if there aren't any major issues. :cool:

Out of curiosity, what engine did the car originally come with? Check the VIN - the first 5 characters will explain... for instance, mine begins with "1F05H" and says that it's a:

• 1: 1971
  • F: Dearborn factory
  • 05: Mach 1
  • H: 351C-2V (engine code)

In the Drop-Down menus at the top of the page, Under the "Data" tab, you'll find "1972 Mustang." Click on it, and you'll see the various decoders, including the VIN decoder (scroll down a little).

I would wager it was either an F or L (302 or I-6) if the engine was swapped, but you never know. If it turns out to be an "F-code," you might check the engine casting numbers as well... just to make sure it's not actually a 302 engine, since both the 351W and 302 are the same engine family. I know I can't tell a 302 and 351W apart just by looking at them. Hey - it might even actually be the original engine, if it was born as a 302 car.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Howdy from Phoenix. I really like your car. I think the custom paint of the interior piece looks sharp.

Since someone already transplanted a Windsor into it I would stay with that platform and use the money to fix it up. There is a lot more aftermarket support for them. Clevlors are cool but it can limit options.

If I had that car with a Windsor I would seriously be considering a super charger. ;)

Cleveland heads are a much better design than the Windsor heads. I run a 460 stroked to 501 cubes with the Blue Thunder heads in my dragster and those heads are just a scaled up version of the Cleveland. They can be made to flow very well. Although I do not plan to race this it makes better economic sense to build it for roughly the same amount of money as a high end Windsor.

I thought about a blower buildup bit I don't want to cut the hood.

Welcome from West Texas! Good lookin' car ::thumb::

Since you already have a running engine in there, as others have mentioned I'd stick with it if there aren't any major issues. :cool:

Out of curiosity, what engine did the car originally come with? Check the VIN - the first 5 characters will explain... for instance, mine begins with "1F05H" and says that it's a:

• 1: 1971
  • F: Dearborn factory
  • 05: Mach 1
  • H: 351C-2V (engine code)

In the Drop-Down menus at the top of the page, Under the "Data" tab, you'll find "1972 Mustang." Click on it, and you'll see the various decoders, including the VIN decoder (scroll down a little).

I would wager it was either an F or L (302 or I-6) if the engine was swapped, but you never know. If it turns out to be an "F-code," you might check the engine casting numbers as well... just to make sure it's not actually a 302 engine, since both the 351W and 302 are the same engine family. I know I can't tell a 302 and 351W apart just by looking at them. Hey - it might even actually be the original engine, if it was born as a 302 car.

The engine that is in the car is smoking out of the left bank which tells me that the cylinders are worn or machined wrong. The engine has been rebuilt at some time recently so I have to assume that it has already been bored .030 over and therefore there was a problem with the engine build and the cylinders on that side are scuffed or too loose. Which means that I would probably not be able to overbore it anymore. Besides I like to build up the engines and just swap them over a weekend.

It is actually an H code 351C 2V. Someone who owned it before me has pulled it for some reason (probably catastrophic engine failure) and replaced it with a 351W. It is a true 351W as the engine deck sits about an inch higher than the water pump. Thanks for the welcome everybody. I have owned a 72 and a 73 Mach1 in the past but back then there was no such thing as the interweb. I read a lot of Hotrod and Car Craft magazines back then. Cool site, Good people from all over the world.