New center gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Oil Pressure and Engine Temp gauges do I buy?

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Hi everyone. I am going to put new center gauges in my coupe and need some advice. Sdstang was kind enough to give me his original center gauge dash cover that I refurbished quite nicely. My car did not have factory gauges so I do not have the factory wiring harness, which is no problem because I am good with electronics. I am going to build a device to hold 3 2-1/8" VDO gauges that I think look pretty good with my factory gauge cluster behind the wheel. I am going to do either a 6 or 8k tach closest to the driver seat and a engine pressure and an engine temp gauge. The advice that I need is fairly simple, just want to see what you guys think before I purchase a set of gauges. The tach will obviously be electronic, but I am torn between electrical or mechanical for the other 2. I really don't want fluid running to the pressure gauge to keep any chance of line rupture from occurring. However, the mechanical gauges look so much better in that they are more of a full sweep style gauge that look more like the tach than a fuel gauge. Here are the links to them.

Tachometer

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.aspProductCode=333%2D959&CartID=1

The Mechanical Gauges that look more like the tach

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.aspProductCode=150%2D0301&CartID=2

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.aspProductCode=180%2D901&CartID=3

And lastly, the electrical that look more like a fuel gauge

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=350-0652

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=310-0391

Maybe I am being too picky, but whatever. I will rear mount them and will not be using the factory glass. I will make a mount out of 1/8" MDF and probably hot glue the gauges to the mdf. I will also post picture of how I do it. I will be copying JHawk635's build that was posted in Austin Vert's thread (http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-seeking-help-advice-on-centre-guage-setup?page=5&highlight=center+gauges).

So let me know by voting what you guys think and also reply if you have any words of wisdom! This is my father's day gift to myself, so I want it to be nice! Thanks as always!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nik,

I think you've got it nailed. If it was me I'd go for the look I want and just do the best install I can. Every time you look at them you will either think "damn these look good" or "I wish I had went with the other ones". Just my way of thinking. Of course if does somehow leak you will be cursing my logic! Another thing you could do is try to make sure that any leak is contained or routed out somehow. Not sure if that's really possible.

I am honored that you are using my how-to build on your project. I think this is a first ::beer:: Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers and good luck!

Hi Nik, I am doing same restoration to my 71 Mach 1, I found on eBay 52 mm gauges, electric operated oil pressure and cooling fluid temperature, and a tach, all comes from China for 16 USD each, do a search, for the price of a VDO you can buy Chinese spare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VS2-2inch-52mm-Tacho-Rev-Counter-Gauge-Tachometer-Indicator-Blue-LED-0-8000-RPM-/251901922840?hash=item3aa6864e18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36MM-WATER-TEMP-JOINT-ADAPTER-PIPE-GAUGE-Hose-Water-Temperature-Meter-Gauge-/360959760196?hash=item540ae0d744

I was thinking how to install them, good option from JHawk, I was afraid of modifying center dash but it looks great, may be I will do same thing.

Regards

Mario

Thanks Man! I will definitely have a couple of questions, basically just how you figured out the center point for the 3 holes that the gauges sit in to start off with.
I just started with a slightly oversized piece and started in the center and measured outward. I just trimmed it up afterwards.

JHawk

Thanks Man! I will definitely have a couple of questions, basically just how you figured out the center point for the 3 holes that the gauges sit in to start off with.
I just started with a slightly oversized piece and started in the center and measured outward. I just trimmed it up afterwards.

JHawk
Cool, I am still trying to decide on electrical or mechanical gauges, what did you go with?

Modern electrical gauges are far more accurate than the factory gauges or even older aftermarket electrical gauges, just buy quality parts.

As to the tach-if you intend to put it in the center cluster, I believe it will be essentially useless. Now it is your car and you may want it, but I would submit there are better choices like a air fuel ratio gauge

Modern electrical gauges are far more accurate than the factory gauges or even older aftermarket electrical gauges, just buy quality parts.

As to the tach-if you intend to put it in the center cluster, I believe it will be essentially useless. Now it is your car and you may want it, but I would submit there are better choices like a air fuel ratio gauge
Yeah I understand your point of view about the Tach and it has run across my mind a couple times. I may just do RCC's plug and play dash Tach conversion, but it will be later down the road when I have more money.

Nik,

I'm not sure but I think you asked how to find the centers of the three gauges so that you can start your layout. The problem in this type of measurement is that you find it difficult to measure to the center when the center of what you're measuring doesn't provide an accurate point to measure from. Assuming, in this case, the three openings are all the same size, it would be best to measure from AN EDGE of one opening to AN EDGE of the next opening. (left to left or right to right)

20150216_125154.jpg

This spacing (edge to edge) is equal to the center to center spacing and gives a sharp edge to measure to. This method can be used in many measuring applications: screw centers, distance between holes on the back of a picture and the dreaded distance between slots on the back of power strips, when trying to mount them!!! It always works! Measure twice...or three times. Once the holes are cut, as John says, from a larger piece of wood you can then cut the wood down to size, centering the three holes. Definitely cut the three holes first and then cut down to size second.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Eric

Nik,

I'm not sure but I think you asked how to find the centers of the three gauges so that you can start your layout. The problem in this type of measurement is that you find it difficult to measure to the center when the center of what you're measuring doesn't provide an accurate point to measure from. Assuming, in this case, the three openings are all the same size, it would be best to measure from AN EDGE of one opening to AN EDGE of the next opening. (left to left or right to right)

This spacing (edge to edge) is equal to the center to center spacing and gives a sharp edge to measure to. This method can be used in many measuring applications: screw centers, distance between holes on the back of a picture and the dreaded distance between slots on the back of power strips, when trying to mount them!!! It always works! Measure twice...or three times. Once the holes are cut, as John says, from a larger piece of wood you can then cut the wood down to size, centering the three holes. Definitely cut the three holes first and then cut down to size second.

Eric
Thanks Eric, that is exactly how I got the measurement. The crazy thing is that each of the gauges actually sit in at different angles so you have to adlib a little on the second piece of wood. Just put the gauges in and use the same measurement technique. Measure at the height you plan to attach the second piece of wood. Don't worry if it's off a hair you can always open the hole up in the direction needed. It's actually much easier than I'm making it sound. Good Luck!

Here are a few pics that might help.

photo%201.jpgphoto%205.jpgphoto%201%20(4).jpgphoto%201%20(3).jpg

And a few pics of the look I was going after. Being a modifier I wanted to go after a look that was unique but appears as if it's factory. I haven't seen other 7173s with all white gauges so I went for it. All in all I'm very happy with them and you cannot imagine the number of compliments I've received. I'm like a proud papa...lol :D

IMG_3507.jpgIMG_3512.jpg

Nik,

Eric
Thanks Eric, that is exactly how I got the measurement. The crazy thing is that each of the gauges actually sit in at different angles so you have to adlib a little on the second piece of wood. Just put the gauges in and use the same measurement technique. Measure at the height you plan to attach the second piece of wood. Don't worry if it's off a hair you can always open the hole up in the direction needed. It's actually much easier than I'm making it sound. Good Luck!

Here are a few pics that might help.

And a few pics of the look I was going after. Being a modifier I wanted to go after a look that was unique but appears as if it's factory. I haven't seen other 7173s with all white gauges so I went for it. All in all I'm very happy with them and you cannot imagine the number of compliments I've received. I'm like a proud papa...lol :D
Before you did your final mounting, you should've traced the (2) wooden pieces, making templates. They would be very helpful to those with less skills. You could sell them cheap...$25 shipped...just a thought!!!

Back