73 coupe, time to fix and mod

so just decided to start my fix and mod thread. this is the progress so far...

She started off a little worse for wear, but good floors and mostly all there.

ei7g1u.jpg

e04g28.jpg

drove back from sierra vista, AZ where she had been sitting for quite a few years

ddde35.jpg

started to work on the engine. it was missing the alternator bracket and bolts, all the belts, the battery terminals, and many other little arts

20716v5.jpg

fixed the front grill as best i can without buying a new one(yet)

s5zqxw.jpg

just started to try to finish sanding the door, but i was interupted by an a$$ when he was upset because he parked his new van next to a car that had tools out next to it and it got dusty.

25gqudv.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice desert car so should not have rust issues. Good luck on the restore and post updates so we can see the progress

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Welcome from Phoenix. You drove it without any belts on it? Should be a fund project. I am glad you found us.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, keep the updates coming.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

well got everything bolted on. Found out there oil pressure sending unit leaks. The starter silinoid is shorting out. Had to cut the alternator bracket to fit right. Found mold in the radiator :chin:. But she cranked over and sputtered tonight.

5wmtt3.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so not to much work recently but got some good work done.

got all the lights working but i had to repair the neutral safety switch

2aopaf.jpg

2cnbh4z.jpg

2a7skya.jpg

pulled it apart and cleaned it and redid the wires

then i sealed it with acrylic enamel and rubber cement

then i pulled all the vinyl top molding off and removed the trim clips

abtic5.jpg

2lcqq8g.jpg

nmcl68.jpg

and removed the hood so i can actually see the engine when i am working on it

yi9p0.jpg

oh and the wife bought me a new gas cap on Ebay to celebrate our new sons birth

103z8fk.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

What a great wife. :) Congrats on the new baby. My wife is due any day now.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Congrats, a little fine tuning and hopefully you will be set.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

she is running all on her own. maybe this weekend i can get her out of the garage and tune her on the road. oh and in the video i am telling my daughter that 8pm is not the middle of the night

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

OK so to sum up what I've done so far. I rebuilt the carburetor cleaned it out then I added a breather with a hose connected to the air cleaner, and added the PCV valve. Adjusted the timing, then played with the throttle position on the carb.

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

took her on the maiden voyage... made it around the block but i am sure that i need to adjust the idle mixture needles. so she died when i pressed the gas in drive. so before i can drive her around i need to set the fuel/air mix and find a kickdown rod.

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

ok so she starts and drives but after a 20 min drive she is scorching hot and the oil light starts to flicker. the oil is full and so in the coolant. any ideas? also anyone have any idea what Holley Accelerator Pump Discharge Nozzle i should be using in a 4160 on a 302? now i am just trying to figure out what to do by writing down my thoughts.

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

So I have figured out that the system was not charging. I think the culprit was a broken ground on the voltage regulator. Got that fixed and got the rest of the lights in the dash swapped out to led. Even got the bulbs behind the switches, had to swap positive and negative on them first tho.

311ndd0.jpg

Now I still have the issue with the car dying when I press the gas and I will need to stiffen the front suspension.

Oh and I discovered when I took her out to get some gas that the thermostat housing bleeds like a stuck pig. So yay for more parts needed. It will need a gasket at the least but I should change the thermostat when I have it out anyway and flat file the housing to make sure it fits properly.

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

so found the culprit for the charging system.. the alternator was bad so new alternator and voltage regulator (suggested to me to change one with the other) and now she is charging like she should.

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

So LOTS of fun yesterday.... apparently the previous owner decided to seal the thermostat with silicone so it would not leak... so it efectivly sealed it so it would not open. so it has been fine for the 2-3 min trips but i decided to drive to the grocery store with her and well lets just say it was a perfect tv show style steam show. so i pushed her back the ~2 miles to the house in the lovely southwest weather and proceded to replace the thermostat and check for water in the places it should not be. looks like i got away with just needing a new radiator cap and some coolant but i have started to learn how special the previous owner was. so new rule never buy from people that do not even know what size enging it is when selling you a car.

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

I'm guilty of sealing Windsor block thermostats with silicone IN ADDITION to a gasket. That's mainly because the flange opening on that particular intake manifold was warped and would NEVER seal perfectly. This was on my 79 F100. If you have that problem a new intake manifold will fix all seal problems. Also I found the best way to clean out a cooling system is by running a garden hose through the upper and lower radiator hose. I did this when I found muddy color antifreeze from rust in my system.

Also, not sure what the history on the motor is but I just ran Seafoam through my 351W (junkyard swap motor) in my 79 F100 and it made a hell of a difference (in a good way). Might help clean out deposits and other stuff in the motor if the owner was that bad with engine maintenance.

so just a quick update (with pics)

so i blew my radiator cap and sent antifreeze all over

(all the dark on the road is from my car)

2qu40oh.jpg

this was shortly after finding out that she will not let me use the gas station to fill her tank... yet to find out why but she just spewed gas all over the ground and i only put 3 gallons in

9uvg40.jpg

but now that she is resting in the garage i got all the vinyl to trim off but i had to work on my other car so she got "the black spots" as my daughter said. i covered the holes with gorilla tape for now just to keep the rain out.

2yyyrh4.jpg

and finally my dad sent me the old suntune mini tach he had from his 1968 fastback so i installed that and now my dash looks a bit cluttered but functional.

2hn52ft.jpg

and now i just need to, as suggested, seafoam my car and back flush the cooling system...

so sprayfoam or seafoam

1b9407f9-de2e-4072-a318-c9ce2c66ff9f.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

Sprayfoam, seafoam, must be the same thing :chin: I followed the directions on the can and did it through a vacuum port, then some in the tank and some in the crankcase. Oh yea and it will smoke like crazy. Be prepared for quite a mess flushing the radiator. My neighbors still look at the brown stains on the street gullies from all the rust i flushed out!

So I was told by Don65Stang and Jarpine that i should share the story of how i came to have Meg... oh yeah decided on a name for her. So her is a little story for ya'll

The origin of Meg.

So I have desired a 1971 ford mustang Mach 1 for many years now, but being in the army and always moving it’s hard to have a project like that. So when I got orders bringing me back to the States in March of 2015 I decided I was going to get my mustang. I had my hopes set on the iconic hunter green 71 mustang Mach 1, but the fact that I have a little to tiny budget for this I decided that any 71-73 mustang in decent condition would work. So the search began and I found several cars, most of them way outside my price range. Then I found Meg. I just happened to be looking on a military car swap site and a fellow soldier had just listed her, she is a 1973 302 white base coupe, and she looked rough. I emailed him and began asking the questions, how are the floors, why is she not running, and so forth. After several weeks of talking I decided that $$,$$$ was more than I could afford so I thanked him for his time and the search continued, that was until I received an email from him saying that he just got orders to Germany and really wanted her to go to someone that would get her running, his fear was that if she did not she would end up as a parts car. So after a quick exchange of emails we had decided on a reasonable price $,$$$ and we just had to work out how to get her to me. His report date to Germany was just before my repost date to the states so how to make it work. Then the crazy kicked in. I proposed that we exchange items through the mail. He sends the title and the keys and I send the check. Now where to store her. He was stationed in Arizona and I was headed to Texas. So he said he had a storage locker that was big enough for the car so it was settled. About a week later I received the title and 4 keys in the mail. The door, the trunk, the ignition, and the locker key. So I sent out the check. Two weeks later we flew out of Germany and landed in Dallas Texas, met up with family and proceeded to Fort Bliss. The first weekend at fort bliss I rented a U-Haul pickup and car trailer and headed out to Arizona. After almost 5 hours of driving I arrived at the storage locker and then the moment of truth, had I just sent off $,$$$ for a set of keys and an empty locker or was my new project inside. I opened the locked and there she was, sitting waiting for me to take her home. I got her on the trailer and headed home. Once I got home it took about 2 months and I got her to start, and the rest is history......

The Plan

poh6w.jpg