73 coupe, time to fix and mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase.Heuer

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 2004 daily driver v6 and am now the proud owner of a 1973 coupe
so just decided to start my fix and mod thread. this is the progress so far...

She started off a little worse for wear, but good floors and mostly all there.

ei7g1u.jpg

e04g28.jpg

drove back from sierra vista, AZ where she had been sitting for quite a few years

ddde35.jpg

started to work on the engine. it was missing the alternator bracket and bolts, all the belts, the battery terminals, and many other little arts

20716v5.jpg

fixed the front grill as best i can without buying a new one(yet)

s5zqxw.jpg

just started to try to finish sanding the door, but i was interupted by an a$$ when he was upset because he parked his new van next to a car that had tools out next to it and it got dusty.

25gqudv.jpg

the third pic is the pic from the inside of a uhaul towing it back to El Paso

got the front of the engine mostly together

2b1c12.jpg

And now got my daily car sitting next to her

2w1trpj.jpg

well got everything bolted on. Found out there oil pressure sending unit leaks. The starter silinoid is shorting out. Had to cut the alternator bracket to fit right. Found mold in the radiator :chin:. But she cranked over and sputtered tonight.

5wmtt3.jpg

so not to much work recently but got some good work done.

got all the lights working but i had to repair the neutral safety switch

2aopaf.jpg

2cnbh4z.jpg

2a7skya.jpg

pulled it apart and cleaned it and redid the wires

then i sealed it with acrylic enamel and rubber cement

then i pulled all the vinyl top molding off and removed the trim clips

abtic5.jpg

2lcqq8g.jpg

nmcl68.jpg

and removed the hood so i can actually see the engine when i am working on it

yi9p0.jpg

oh and the wife bought me a new gas cap on Ebay to celebrate our new sons birth

103z8fk.jpg

she is running all on her own. maybe this weekend i can get her out of the garage and tune her on the road. oh and in the video i am telling my daughter that 8pm is not the middle of the night

OK so to sum up what I've done so far. I rebuilt the carburetor cleaned it out then I added a breather with a hose connected to the air cleaner, and added the PCV valve. Adjusted the timing, then played with the throttle position on the carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
took her on the maiden voyage... made it around the block but i am sure that i need to adjust the idle mixture needles. so she died when i pressed the gas in drive. so before i can drive her around i need to set the fuel/air mix and find a kickdown rod.

ok so she starts and drives but after a 20 min drive she is scorching hot and the oil light starts to flicker. the oil is full and so in the coolant. any ideas? also anyone have any idea what Holley Accelerator Pump Discharge Nozzle i should be using in a 4160 on a 302? now i am just trying to figure out what to do by writing down my thoughts.

so got the door stripped and painted and got the mirror mounted back on.

kc1jis.jpg

2itonc9.jpg

3143xo5.jpg

2rw261v.jpg

14wpxmp.jpg

2cfe6bc.jpg

So recently I tried to take the temp sensor out and well it's broken... Bad...

2chxg6.jpg

But I got the dash lights swapped out

14aion8.jpg

So I have figured out that the system was not charging. I think the culprit was a broken ground on the voltage regulator. Got that fixed and got the rest of the lights in the dash swapped out to led. Even got the bulbs behind the switches, had to swap positive and negative on them first tho.

311ndd0.jpg

Now I still have the issue with the car dying when I press the gas and I will need to stiffen the front suspension.

Oh and I discovered when I took her out to get some gas that the thermostat housing bleeds like a stuck pig. So yay for more parts needed. It will need a gasket at the least but I should change the thermostat when I have it out anyway and flat file the housing to make sure it fits properly.

Back