73 coupe, time to fix and mod

My son's 1972 coupe had a hard time filling with gas. And this was a new gas tank! I had him pull the new tank and check the line that goes to the charcoal canister (connects to the top of the gas tank). This was totally plugged. He fixed this and the tank fills good now. He also found that removing the cap no longer has pressure behind it. The charcoal canister is not hooked up to anything, but the line from the tank plugs into the top of the canister. Not sure if this will work for you, but it worked out for him.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a story to tell to the grandkids. I too was in a similar situation with budget and as you said, the military makes it hard to have a project car (we all know they don't move cars for us in CONUS). I'm glad she's getting restored. I have a few places in El Paso for bodywork I might be able to recommend that my family has used for years (whenever you get to that point).

So I took the intake manifold off to take it to a machine shop. Now she's sitting there unable to breathe. Now hopefully the machine shop will be able to fix the two ports going into the water passage

5oz604.jpg

23kdkiv.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

So I took the intake in and 24 hours later I have it back. The ports look great.

zwgapj.jpg

Now to finish polishing it.... Sorta and hit it with some high heat clear coat.

2rna653.jpg

Oh and this is what came out of the cooling system.

1iet8z.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so i got a 1" space from my father, he has had it for over 40 years with the plan to use it again, and got some gaskets and now the intake is back on.... when it was off i used a wet/dry vac to clean the block and wow did some sludge come out.

All clean and ready to put in

2r2yd87.jpg

test fit with the new studs and spacer

zwaryo.jpg

ran out of time for the day so set it in to keep dirt out of the engine

4t57gw.jpg

got it in waiting for the sealant to harden

cnk74.jpg

Got the distributor in and the intake torqued down

e9vm1s.jpg

and the carbs on and everything is hooked up and the hood even closes right

eg7rs7.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

• 3 months later...

So it has been a while but i have an update... so i decided that i was not going to have the time or tools to properly repair Megs engine so i decided to take her to the shop to get fixed. She is currently with Daniel Sanchez at S and J Automotive in Anthony New Mexico.

i41wqp.jpg

sg0pb4.jpg

15f15xj.jpg

He has Pulled the engine and transmission to be fixed up

6zy1vn.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

so made a decent score this weekend. I found a set of rims for Meg.. no not Mag and not original but they are mustang rims and they only cost $40. that's $10 a rim.... couldn't pass this up.

1sh82q.jpg

108afkp.jpg

Planning on painting them like this:

azbh2v.jpg

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

Hard to tell what size they are in the pic but are you sure they will work with that back spacing? Depending on how wide they are you may run into binding on the front suspension.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

They are 225/60 R16. They should fit just fine the only thing is I will need spacers because the offset is different. But they will not rub on anything

The Plan

poh6w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so in anticipation of Megs return to life i have done several things... some of them not to smart lol

so i got a new air cleaner that is oh so pretty

2m7yjxv.jpg

and looking into texas laws i found out you can use i license plate from the year your mustang was made if the numbers are not is use... sooooo i ordered some 1973 texas plates that were never used just to find out that they have to be 6 character plates and what did i order

33o79ts.jpg

yep 5 character plates..... so i can do vanity classic plates

1zwp6h0.jpg

and request the same characters and swap them and hope that no one notices or i can chalk it up to an oops. decisions decisions.....

well she should be out of the shop in the next week or two then it will be off to the daily commute.... and maybe some weekend fun

The Plan

poh6w.jpg