351 Boss Build....Step 2. Freeze Plug Selection and Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
At this rate, not sure I will ever get done....

(If someone wants to tell me how to decrease my picture size, I am not beyond being told what to do...unless you are a woman...unless you are my wife. In the mean time, for novice users, you can press/hold [CTRL and -] to decrease photo size, [CTRL and +] to increase).

But, I thought I would show everyone BRASS FREEZE PLUGS from Dornan(CHINA) and from MELLING(Made In USA). For whatever reason, I remember the Melling were hard to find, but appear to be worth the effort:

1. Melling are thicker brass.

2. Melling are larger diameter.

3. Melling are deeper...by a lot.

4. I did weigh them in grams for our international friends who refuse to join the english juggernaut measurement system. Everything else in inches.

4. My engine block freeze plug holes ranged from 1.480 to 1.488 in diameter.

I have a 30MM socket that will be perfect for pounding them in without pushing them in.

Now all I have to decide is, do I install:

1. DRY- My preference at this time.

2. Permatex

3. Loctite

4. Other

What do our master engine builders think? Remember, I live in SoCal and will be a daily driver.

35l5kyr.jpg

I agree with Rocket, non-hardening Permatex. Put it on the plug, if you put it on the block when you install the plugs some of the sealer will get forced into the water jacket. Use the same thing on the threaded plugs.

At this rate, not sure I will ever get done....

(If someone wants to tell me how to decrease my picture size, I am not beyond being told what to do...unless you are a woman...unless you are my wife.
On your camera settings decrease the megapixels. Depending on the camera this may be called many different things. Essentially you are turning down the file size of the image the camera captures. In the world of 10 to 25 megapixel cameras, that amount of resolution is overkill for everyday photos. If you are doing a photo for a billboard of magazine cover then have at it.

For everyday use and photos on a computer screen use a 3 or 6 megapixel setting.

Also if you use the "New Attachment" forum feature (located below the text box and above the "Post Reply" button) the forum software will resize your photos for you.

Good luck and keep up the good posts.

Back