need help fast pink wire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Help everyone, my car is giving me trouble after installing my new engine and is giving me fits on wiring up my duraspark ignition. I am trying to track down the elusive pink resistance wire at the source to bypass it. I have power when cranking at the red wire with blue stripe but no power in run at the red wire with the green stripe so I am guessing new wire ran from the switch may be be necessary. If anyone can help or has a pic of where to look for the pink wire that would be cool.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the greaf info folks, my car is non tach car so maybe I am looking for something that isn't there. My guess is my 43 year old wiring harness got tweaked during the engine swap. I'll keep plugging away til we get it figured out so we can drive it to the exhaust shop.

P.S. it ran fine the way I had it wired for 2 years before the swap so something had to go south.

Looking at the schematics for my car (73) both the tach and non tach cars had the resistance wire and that makes sense since it was used to reduce the voltage to the coil. Not sure if I am looking at this right but after looking at the connector numbers some more the wire for a non tach car appears to be in the steering column between the ignition switch and the connector at the base of the steering column. This is for a 73 model year but I'll look at the 71 and 72 schematics to see if they are the same. For a tach car the wire is from the connector behind the tach to the connector at the base of the column. If my car was apart I would be doing some wire tracing to get to the bottom of this.

For all years, the pink resistor wire ends at the connector block behind the fuse box. For all 123 years, for tach cars, the pink resistor wire starts at a two pin (male/female) plug that plugs into the tach. For non-tach cars, it starts at the ignition switch connector.

I always wondered if the electric choke got 12 volts in both the start and ignition mode. I believe the choke got it's voltage from the alternator...and the alternator is turning .

Maybe someone with an electric choke can take a quick read.

Thank you guys for the great replies and the diagrams, cool to see that wolverine is back. Good news the engine is running great now, the red wire with the green stripe was the culprit. I ended up just running a new wire from a key on source of power and installed a ballast resistor as well. Everything is staying nice and cool with the box and coil with the reduced voltage so hopefully all is well now. I may try and make it to the exhaust shop tomorrow so we can here ourselves think while we are tuning it lol, it sounds real strong though.

Thank you all again very much it feels good to have it on the road again, I may make a new youtube video of the new engine this weekend if we can find some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikes73

Good news! I have a friend who has a 1968 mustang with the 302 and the duraspark . Just stopped working. We replaced all items and could not get it start. Ended my pulling and installed new replace distributor and it fired right ! I have forwarded your thread to him for later discussions.

[emoji108]mustang7173

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back