Burnt 71 Mustang Mach 1 M code At Copart Auction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
Same car.

Both have tinted rear quarter windows and the left rear tire air fill is in the same place as the one in the video...in the middle of the word Radial.

Wonder where the fire began--ignition? Wiring harness? Gas leak by the coil? The dash and speedo area looks like it was really deep friend. The fire-wall didn't act like much of a wall.

Hope the owner had full coverage, including fire. $20k to repair it. Ouch. Sympathies to the owner. Looks like the car was well cared for and much invested in it.

Wow. That's totally restorable.

Based on the dashboard damage and how it refused to go out when the fire fighters were dousing the crap out of the interior, I still say it was probably the ammeter circuit shorting to ground somewhere, smoking the insulation, and now you have the dashboard and under-hood fire, fueled by the battery and whatever else happened to ignite.

If they would've disconnected the battery first thing, it would've gone out a LOT quicker with all the water they used. An ABC extinguisher would've put it out a lot quicker after the battery was disconnected as well. Since water is also a conductor, it can actually help spread an electrical fire.

Dang, I wish I could get in on this one - it wouldn't take much of anything to get it back together. New interior upholstery, console, carpet, headliner, dash board, electrics, HVAC, windshield, seals, under hood "soft" parts, clean-up the engine (rebuild if necessary), new cowl sheet metal (maybe), clean, reseal, and repaint. Toughest part would be matching the paint... but since it got so hot inside, I'd probably the repaint the whole car and be done with it. I imagine the roof paint is compromised, along with the hood, fenders, and upper door skins - might as well just strip the whole thing down.

Poor car. Looks like there is a mess of wires in the engine bay and if they were cleaned up the fire may have been prevented.. Who is to know for sure. Feel bad for the owners, that looked like it was a beautiful car.

It would be cool if a member got their hands on this one and did a rebuild on here.

attachment.php
Here's the perfect opportunity to redo the TuTone "correctly." ;)

It's only at $2500, that's a pretty good deal. The wheels and tires make up a pretty good chunk of that!
Ummm - anybody got a link? :huh:

This scenario is why I keep an extinguisher in my car. This is a top 5 in my worst nightmare department. Considering the car looks very much like mine. I suppose I should disconnect my ammeter just to be safe. I already unplugged the clock years ago. There are a lot of cars (mostly VW products) out there that should burn and that is not one of them.

Ron

This scenario is why I keep an extinguisher in my car. This is a top 5 in my worst nightmare department. Considering the car looks very much like mine. I suppose I should disconnect my ammeter just to be safe. I already unplugged the clock years ago. There are a lot of cars (mostly VW products) out there that should burn and that is not one of them.

Ron
You should put one of the battery quick disconnects and flip it or unscrew it every time you park it. When they were new they were not know for fires it is when people start splicing into the wire harness to add stuff and do a bad job on the connections that heat up. If you add something always solder the connection and tape it good. The critters sometimes chew up stuff also. Clean all your ground connections also.

I would have given $4,000 for it I have everything needed to fix it. The fire would not have hurt the engine didn't get that hot.

Battery disconnect and extinguisher are a must. Turn off the juice and then use the extinguisher.

David

Ron
You should put one of the battery quick disconnects and flip it or unscrew it every time you park it. When they were new they were not know for fires it is when people start splicing into the wire harness to add stuff and do a bad job on the connections that heat up. If you add something always solder the connection and tape it good. The critters sometimes chew up stuff also. Clean all your ground connections also.

I would have given $4,000 for it I have everything needed to fix it. The fire would not have hurt the engine didn't get that hot.

Battery disconnect and extinguisher are a must. Turn off the juice and then use the extinguisher.

David
Good advice Dave. I do very neat electrical work in my cars and house. I may have a touch of OCD. I wired my new garage with MC cable to protect against those "critters" you mentioned. The newer cars that I work on seem to have more issues with rodents eating the wires and hoses due to the fact that they are made from biodegradable plant based materials that they find delicious.

Ron

Ron

David
Good advice Dave. I do very neat electrical work in my cars and house. I may have a touch of OCD. I wired my new garage with MC cable to protect against those "critters" you mentioned. The newer cars that I work on seem to have more issues with rodents eating the wires and hoses due to the fact that they are made from biodegradable plant based materials that they find delicious.

Ron
My brother in law had chipmunks do about $800 to his newer chevy pickup.

Not a fun thing for sure.

Back