Any issues with TMI seat covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I'm looking into deluxe seat covers and was back and forth between TMI and distinctive. I have heard from two separate people that the stitching in the TMI is coming out after little use. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,

Jim

yup the TMI stitching does come out a little, mine stopped after the first year it was coming out a little on the front of the seats.

since then the loose stitching hasn't moved or changed and i stopped noticing it.. hard to believe i redid the seats in 2005, 10 years ago.

about 5 years ago i did take the tops off the front seats apart again to install the factory mach 1 badges on the center of the backrests.

put it all back together in a couple hours and had no issues.

I have TMI Sport Seats in mine (with Sport Seat foam as well - complete restoration of the seats), and I have no complaints. They've been on for over a year and no worries. They were a little bit of a struggle to install, but only until I rediscovered some installation tips and tricks after the first seat cushion, which made the rest of the installation go really well.

Throughout all the stretching, pulling, pushing, "spanking," etc., used to get the covers on, none of the seams ever showed any indication of stress or wanting to let go.

However, if Distinctive would've offered their new Touring II seats in something that looked closer to the actual 71-73 Deluxe Seats, I would've bought them outright and been done with it (the new-tech seat frames with recline would've been worth it).

My complaints with ALL of the repop seat covers (TMI, Distinctive, et al) are not completely accurate - the "comfort weave" portion of the seat covers are not the right color (or at least, not the Black/Gray Mach 1 covers as I've seen). The original seats have Black outers, Gray Stripes, and Gray comfort weave centers. The repops have Black outers, Gray Stripes, and Black "comfort weave" centers.

So basically, if you're going to recover with repop vinyl, I would ensure you replace ALL the seat covers... or at least, both of the front buckets if you decide to keep the factory rear seat to maintain symmetry (otherwise, the repop cover won't match the factory seat).

Hope this helps.

Yup, what Eric said ^^^^^^ is spot on. The TMI colors did not fully match the originals and the comfortweave is somewhat different.

:goodpost:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the TMI Premium upholstery put on my seats a few weeks ago with new foam and so far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
TMI deluxe on ours and quite happy with them. Pics in our garage and www.71mach.com

Took a couple pictures this weekend for reference.

19248426461_185bb2e8ca_o.jpg

19058510959_0c7e0631e8_o.jpg

Back