Air Cleaner Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Just completed restoring an original air cleaner for my 72 Q Code Mach 1. When I got the car it had a real crappy air cleaner on it, so I just put a cheap chrome one on. Looked for an original one, but they are pretty hard to find.

I ended up posting on here about wanting the correct one, and a member spoke up. I bought an original air cleaner in very nice condition from mustang68, Thank's Larry!

So anyway, I finally redid it & here are a few pics of what I did.

Air Cleaner Resto  (3).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (11).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (16).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (12).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (17).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (20).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (23).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (27).JPGAir Cleaner Resto  (33).JPG

I just saw an air cleaner like that today. Nice condition but someone drilled 5-6 1" holes in the base for more airflow or something. Even still had the chrome lid but was painted with a translucent blue clear coat.

Just completed restoring an original air cleaner for my 72 Q Code Mach 1. When I got the car it had a real crappy air cleaner on it, so I just put a cheap chrome one on. Looked for an original one, but they are pretty hard to find.

I ended up posting on here about wanting the correct one, and a member spoke up. I bought an original air cleaner in very nice condition from mustang68, Thank's Larry!

Hello, John, great job on my old air cleaner,LOOKS BETTER THAN NEW. We will be in DEARBORN, AUGUST 16 for the MUSTANG MEMORIES SHOW, With our 73 convertible. Maybe we will see you there. Larry

Go to my PROFILE PAGE mustang68 My post is on page 2 Feb 2015

Very nice work ::thumb::

Is there difference between a Q-code air cleaner '72 and '73? :chin:
Hello, If anybody wants to see difference 72 -73 air cleaners I posted pictures of my 73 351c 4v(THAT I BOUGHT NEW) and the 72 air cleaner that John bought from me. Check my posts from a couple months ago and the pictures will come up and you will be able to see the difference. I hope this helps. Larry

Last edited by a moderator:

That looks excellent. I have to do teh same job on mine and have found the correct aircleaner that's in pretty good condition - now I see how good they can really look! Outstanding!

Hello, John, great job on my old air cleaner,LOOKS BETTER THAN NEW. We will be in DEARBORN, AUGUST 16 for the MUSTANG MEMORIES SHOW, With our 73 convertible. Maybe we will see you there. Larry

Go to my PROFILE PAGE mustang68 My post is on page 2 Feb 2015

Very nice work ::thumb::

Is there difference between a Q-code air cleaner '72 and '73? :chin:
Hello, If anybody wants to see difference 72 -73 air cleaners I posted pictures of my 73 351c 4v(THAT I BOUGHT NEW) and the 72 air cleaner that John bought from me. Check my posts from a couple months ago and the pictures will come up and you will be able to see the difference. I hope this helps. Larry
Thank's Larry! Would be great to meet up with you & Starr there. I will mark it down on my calendar.

That looks excellent. I have to do teh same job on mine and have found the correct aircleaner that's in pretty good condition - now I see how good they can really look! Outstanding!
Thank's Nigel! If you need any info about it just let me know.

From what I can see, you used Gatorade as the primer, and then what appears to be a 7up for the final finish.

Perhaps the issue I always have is I am actually trying to use spray paint.

Can you confirm/deny my allegations, and correct any misgivings I may have misgotten in this regard?

Or, if it is just easier for you, I can send you my air cleaner. It is not nearly as needy as yours was. And I can even include the Gatorade and the 7up...I would add a Dos Equis but sending alcohol through the US parcel system is a violation of federal law....although if you bring it in when you cross the border illegally, I understand you get a free college education....and you guys complain I can't stay on topic.

Back