2015 test drive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
Today I test drove 2 2015 stangs as I'm considering buying one as a daily driver. I drive 95 miles (round trip) to our main campus 2-3 times a week. Trying to save in gas mileage on my truck and so I'm looking at the Ecoboost as an option (had to test a 5.0 while there). Let me say it was a fun little car to drive.

Took my car up there to show I was a serious mustang person. They spent more time talking about mine.
f1f86d9c9f165b63b12bb1afc307c29c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend who just traded in his F-150 for an Eco-boost 2015 Mustang (black-out edition). Good-lookin' car and he loves it.

Good luck with the decision - just don't leave your Mach 1 there when you're done making the deal. ;)

I have a friend who just traded in his F-150 for an Eco-boost 2015 Mustang (black-out edition). Good-lookin' car and he loves it.

Good luck with the decision - just don't leave your Mach 1 there when you're done making the deal. ;)
I was asked several times if I was going to trade it in and I said only if they're giving me three. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and test drove a 5.0 back in December, man it was fun. It was bright yellow with the performance package and a 6 speed. The clutch took a little getting used to, but it was smooth after a couple stop lights! How was the Eco-Boost motor?

I went and test drove a 5.0 back in December, man it was fun. It was bright yellow with the performance package and a 6 speed. The clutch took a little getting used to, but it was smooth after a couple stop lights! How was the Eco-Boost motor?
Both were fun to drive and yes the clutch took a little getting use to. I was a little jerky in first but smoothed out in the other five.

I was surprised and impressed with the Eco-boost. To be honest I was thinking 6 cylinder when I went up there but the performance of the Eco-boost was better. It is rated 310 horses compared to 305 for the 6 and the torque is 320 lb-ft compared to 280 lb-ft for the 6. All around it was a pretty impressive drive and the engine was very responsive to my foot! The gas mileage was also a big selling point for me. More power and better gas mileage.

I have test driven all 3 but the Eco and the 6 were Automatics. That is all they had at the time. Last month I drove a 5.0 with 6 speed and it also took me a little bit to get used to the clutch.

I have test driven all 3 but the Eco and the 6 were Automatics. That is all they had at the time. Last month I drove a 5.0 with 6 speed and it also took me a little bit to get used to the clutch.
They didn't have an Eco manual on the lot but have one I want at another of their dealerships. I drove an Eco that was an automatic and a 5.0 that was a manual. I purely drove the 5.0 to test the manual transmission since it is the same one for both. Honestly the cruising and ride of the Eco was better than the 5.0 and I'm sure it is because of weight.

One nonnegotiable is the manual transmission as I already own a pretty red stang with auto.

Ya know, in looking at the old and new side by side, the old red one isn't so big...and I kinda still like the red one better. Both are good looking cars though.

Ya know, in looking at the old and new side by side, the old red one isn't so big...and I kinda still like the red one better. Both are good looking cars though.
Check the body dimensions. They're very close to being the same.

I went went with the grey (ford has another name) above. I'll get some better pics when it gets here with them side by side.

Dad's been real sick and so I've spent the last week with him at the hospital.

On my way up (4 hour drive) I was running 87 octane in my 2015 and I was getting about 25 mpg. Not bad but nowhere near the 31 mpg they advertised. While sitting at the hospital I started reading forums about the Ecoboost and it appears Ford tuned the engines to premium grade gas.

I'll be honest, I usually call BS on this kind of talk. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I've always felt the gains are negated by the additional costs. I decided on my return trip that I would put a tank of premium gas in. I was surprised that in one tank my mpg went from 25 to 28.3 and was steadily improving.

While it is true the engine computer can adjust, it did surprise me the immediate change.
44f74b74e20bcf9a8fe3a8c94ffa36a4.jpg

I picked up a National rental car and picked the 2015 Mustang. It is the same color as yours and had the Eco-boost engine. But it was an automatic. I drove from NC to NY and the trip odometer at the end of the drive showed I had 29.9 MPG. I used the cheap gas. I drove almost exclusively freeway and cruised anywhere from 65 to 85 MPH with the A/C on. So I think the car is capable of the 31 MPG if driven carefully. But I could not resist punching it once in a while to blow past a length of semis before they pulled out and clogged the road going 2 wide.

I also love the cool horse that is projected onto the ground as you approach the vehicle. And the speedometer has "Ground speed" on it. So if I got the Cobra option does the speedometer read "Air speed"?

I tell you what, that car will scoot. On the way home the other day I got behind one of those a-holes that sped up every time I tried to pass him. I finally got around and when I looked down, I was going 115. The rpms were still fairly low and I had a lot of pedal left. It was a smooth ride, no floating, and the engine did not struggle.

A short time later I got pulled over. When asked "do you know how fast you were going" I asked him when he clocked me. I got a warning.

Well I had an accident with the rental. Hit a deer!

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

It was a small deer and I hit it and then it went under the car. The upper and lower grill is broken, the front fascia is cracked and broken. Behind the grills there is a flapper system that closes and all those plastic parts were broken. The air dam and chin spoiler are broken and was dragging on the ground. I got a bunch of zip ties, cleaned out all the broken parts behind the grill, and zip tied the air dam and loose fascia back together. This happened in NY and I live in NC. Drove the car back home this way.

Even with the front end damage I got 34.7 MPG with this car:

IMG_0460.JPG

The total for my trip to NY and back (plus a bunch of driving around in NY) still netted me over 30 MPG!

IMG_0461.JPG

I put in the cheap gas (a relative term when comparing the cost of gas in VA and NY) and never used the higher octane.

Forgot to add, I had the Loss damage waiver and this cost me nothing. The rental company has to fix it. Whew!

Back