Not a fun way to start the holiday weekend!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 M code Mach 1, 4 speed, Grabber Blue.
Ugh!!!

2emq70o.jpg

Pretty extreme blowout! Do you know the cause? Hate to see the size of the pot hole if that was the reason.....

According to date code, April 2007. No evidence of dry rot.

I was going about 70mph on the highway in traffic when I felt it go. It took me another minute or so to be able to cross over to the breakdown lane and slow to a stop. That extra minute of high speed travel I'm sure contributed to the tires demise.

I've had the tires go also. the bands shift around, usually its from sitting.

here is mine:

tire was from 2002 and let go in 2007.

most of the time these are not daily drivers so they sit for weeks in the garage or outdoors.

they get an internal flat spot in the steel bands inside the tire and then they let go.

usually you get 5 years out of these tires then the failure rate goes up.

reminds me i need to get new tires that was on the list of things to replace this year.

Ouch! That short distance before you came to a stop shouldn't have caused that much damage to the tire in my opinion.

The worst part is, nobody local has stock in wide 14 inch tires. So the car will be up on jack stands all weekend. Had planned to do some serious driving this 4th of July weekend. I should have it all fixed by Tuesday.

72HCODE, interesting your blowout was the same brand as mine. Glad you got your tranny job almost done.

I'm very happy it was just the tire which is easily replaced , sometimes these blow outs can be nasty

Happens a lot when you have no idea what side the tires where on the car when rotated too , reason why you should only rotate on the same side...The steel belts get use to runing one way and get tight..When rotated on the wrong side of the car they can losen and blow out.. My dad got some nice tires..No dry rott, steel belts, not very old, put them on a 1965 ford truck , by the time we got around a few blocks, they started egging out on the tread and driving rough and 2 of them exploded..lol <~~ i was always worried about this fact from then on, and my mustang i always rotated front to back and back to front..never side to side...I ran the last set of tires for 15 years..lol they toast now thou" lol

" age too can loosen them like hcode said"

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you both have Viper tires. Hope that's not normal for that brand. My experience has found that failures that circle the tire are from overheating (possible under inflation), and spot failures are from flat spots(sitting too long with car weight on them.

The worst part is, nobody local has stock in wide 14 inch tires. So the car will be up on jack stands all weekend. Had planned to do some serious driving this 4th of July weekend. I should have it all fixed by Tuesday.

72HCODE, interesting your blowout was the same brand as mine. Glad you got your tranny job almost done.
Another reason I upgraded to 15" wheels.

Bummer on the blowout! I know my tires are old; they still have like new tread and the rubber nubs. Need to put new ones on the wish list.

Back