two problems came up today 351c-2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
94 mustang gt convertible
took the car out for the first time in a month and ran into a couple of problems.

1st I started backing up and there were no brakes. looking at the brake fluid and the rear container was almost empty. there was no fluid leaking that I could see. can the brake fluid back flow back into the power booster?

2nd with the car running, gas was dripping off the oil filter. what would cause that? no gas showing anywhere on the top of the manifold,

Look for the wheel cylinders leaking inside of the drums

Fuel pump may be leaking and running down the filter

If the master cylinder leaks it usually runs down the booster and firewall and eats the paint off. It also kills the rubber in the rag joint on the steering shaft.

Like Don says the gas line going to the fuel pump is probably leaking. I just put new master cylinder on my car. If I were you I would replace the rubber gas line at the tank. the piece under the master cylinder that comes through the inner fender and also to the fuel pump and at the carburetor. The ethanol in the gas today deteriorates the rubber really fast so ask for hose that is designed for the ethanol fuels. You should probably also do like Don suggests check your wheels cylinders new ones are very cheap or you can hone and rebuilt the old ones.

There are two different master cylinders power disc is I think 15/16" dia. bore and power drum is 1" dia. bore. Be sure to get the right one and flush out all the old brake fluid when you bleed the system. The fluid absorbs water and over time that is what causes the rust in your cylinders and calipers and can also rust the stock steel brake lines. You should also check the calipers if you have disc brakes. If someone has just let the caliper just hang by the hose when working on the brakes the inside of the hose might be in bad shape and can cause the pads to drag. Replacing the hoses on the brakes is a cheap insurance.

No brakes and leaking gas are going to get you in trouble.

If you are trying to stay 100% original you can get the cylinders and calipers rebuilt.

Both are easy fixes even for first timer you will need someone to help bleed the system if you don't have a pump.

Good luck don't drive it until you fix the issues. You should give these cars a going over like a check list if they sit long.

David

I would check the master cyl too. Two nuts and you can pull it away from the booster and have your answer. If there is no fluid between the MC and booster than I agree with the wheel cyl check.

At others have said, plus,

Yes the booster can suck out brake fluid which ends up burned by the engine.

You can also have leaking wheel cylinders or leaking brake lines somewhere in the system. Soft lines can weep fluid. You can have a leaking master as well. A bad prop valve can leak between the front and rear brake system also. First you want to locate any wet spots in the brakes system.

As oms said you can have a leak at the fuel pump which is above and to the front of the oil filter.

You can also have a hose leak that is leaking down on the oil filter.

well, it took too long to get back to the car but replaced the power booster/mc with a new GPS unit. also found out the 2 back brake cylinders had rust that would not let it move more than maybe 10% causing the booster to fail.

replaced the fuel pump, and added a edelbrock performer will 600 holley. found out that the distributer was off 1 tooth and had a chip out of the gear. all has been replaced and I know a dumb ass statement but what a difference.

thanks to all for the words of wisdom,

Hey - nothing 'dumb-ass' about getting everything back to good. Congrats! ::thumb::

Back