Disc brake issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 Q-code 351CJ
1968 289 Coupe
2005 Mustang V6 Legend Lime
1968 Chevrolet Nova
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Corvette "Official Pace Car"
1986 Mercedes 190D
Last week when i cruised the interstate at 60 mph my left front wheel blocked totaly ... , came loose again and blocked totaly again...

when i managed to stop the car on the emergency lane i found out that there was a little chunck of steel between caliper and disc..

I removed it , wheel came loose , and i went to my shop to put the car on the car-hoist.

First i thought that a piece of brakepad was broken of but when i examined better it seemed that a "Y" clip that was spot welded to the inside of the discrotor fell of and caused this problem..

i took the discrotor from the other side of the car and saw that the "Y" clip was present but came loose also when i wiggled it a bit..

Those "Y"clips are present between the air flow ducts in the disc rotor , 1 on each rotor...

What's the purpose of those "Y"clips .. ? , balancing..?

I drove the car without the clips for a couple of miles , maybe i noticed a slight unbalance in the car .. , or maybe it's just me..

So does anybody know where are those clips for..??

thanks in advance ,

John

+1 on Don's post.

"Rotor Balancing

"The best way to balance a rotor is to grind away material on the inside of the plates near the internal vanes. All rotors, just like all mounted tires, need balance. Unlike tires and wheels, the rotor is balanced at the factory and not by the brake shop. The cheaper rotors are balanced by clip-on weights or weights hammered between the vanes. The problem is that these weights can come loose and either vibrate (producing brake noise) or come off completely.

By the way, the mill cut goes farther around the circumference of the rotor, not deeper. The better rotors limit the amount of total mill cut. Which is better: a mounted tire with a pair of 6-ounce wheel weights attached to the rim, or one with a single quarter-ounce weight? It’s the same thing with rotors. Less material removed to balance the rotor is better. The need to remove lots of material probably means the rotor has other internal casting problems." Source: Raybestos

Chuck

Guys , i forgot to say that the rotors that i have on my car are Original FOMOCO rotors...

I understand that rims or discs or flywheels should be balanced , but i never saw balance weights on Original Ford parts..

Back