Engine find

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
So this is interesting.

Tonight I stop by a family owned tranny shop trying to help my ill brother get a car fixed. When talking to the "son" of the shop owner I asked about a couple things. First there was a nice red 71 or so Cutlass convertible on a lift. It is his dad's and they are fixing it up a little.

More intriguing was the power train sitting on the floor. A Ford Big Block with an aluminum 3x2 intake, chrome valve covers, and a 4-speed sitting against the wall.

"What's the story on the Ford engine over there?" I asked

"Oh, that's been sitting there for years, we came across it some time ago, I think the bottom end is locked up or something. It's for sale cheap." He said

"Mind if I check it out?" I asked

So the casting numbers on the heads are C8AE, the valve covers look aftermarket, and I couldn't tell much else without looking too interested. I asked " So how much is Cheap?"

He said "I'll have to ask my dad."

I said " That's cool, just let me know when you call about my brother's car."

What do you think I should do? ::thumb::

View attachment 28813

View attachment 28814

Probably a 390, but casting marks can be tricky on FEs. Intake is probably aftermarket, but Ford did make a tri-power setup for the Thunderbirds and a couple other models. If it's a 390GT, 428, 410 or 406 or a Police Interceptor it might be worth something, but beware of the more common later 360 truck motor and the 361/391 commercial truck motor (although, I do believe the commercial truck motors had steel cranks there was something special about the rods). If nothing else, the intake is worth something.

Intake looks early 60's with the big oil filler pipe. Check for low perf vertical bolted header flanges vs the offset hi-po, GT or CJ style. Check for hyd(non-adjustable) or solid(adjustable) rocker arms. CID identification is very challenging without the ability to rotate the engine over. 428 blocks are identified by casting letters in the bellhousing area but either way, some disassembly is required.

I did a little more research, the only C8AE heads used on an FE appears to be a C8AE-F, which was used on the 68-70 428 Cobra Jets.

C7ME-A and C7ME-C blocks were used for the 428 Cobra Jets. The block number is on the passenger side of the block towards the front.

For the heads this is what I have , although the info doesn't consistently distinguish between part # and casting #.

'68 360 C8AE-B or C8AE-H (Thermactor)

'68 390 C8AE-B

'68 427 LR C8AE-6090-J, C8AE-N, Fairlane Montego

'68 427 LR C8WE-6090-A, C8AE-N, Mustang, Cougar

'68-69 428 C8AZ-6090-B, Casting C8AE-B

'68 428 C8AZ-6049-A, casting C9AE-A, C8AE-H w/Thermactor

'68-70 Police Interceptor, C8AZ-6090-N, casting C8AE-F, w/Thermactor

The intake, if factory, could be:

'61-63 390 C1AE-9424-E, C3AZ-9424-D, aluminum (Block: heavier webbing in bottom end less restrictive oil passages)

'63 390 C3SZ-9424-A, aluminum Thunderbird

'61-63 406 C1AE-9424-E, C3AZ-9424-D aluminum (Block: heavier webbing in bottom end less restrictive oil passages, some prior to 65 had cross boltd main bearing caps)

The 3x2 was used on the HP 390 (look for the letters HP on the right front side of the block, behind the flywheel, and in the lifter gallery) and the 406, these engines were both solid lifter motors. It was an option on the '63 Thunderbird 390 (which I presume was a regular 390, not HP). I'd bet there were a fair number of these manifolds sold at the Ford parts counter too.

Some perspective on the early FE 3x2, this is all relative to original Ford motors/parts and exaggeration.:

'61 390 401hp 430tq 10.6cr Ford

'62 390 340hp 430tq 10.6cr Ford, T-Bird

'62 390 401hp 430tq 10.6cr Ford

'62 406 405hp 448tq 11.4cr Ford

'63 406 405hp 448tq 12.1cr Ford Mercury

My guess is regular 360/390/428 with vertical exhaust manifold bolts, but still an excellent find for the right price. You might find numbers like 352 or something on the block, they do not necessarily mean displacement. Bottom ends are easy to find and still cheap. Just the right thing for a Cobra kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the information guys.

I will see what they are asking before I go for a second look and try to validate numbers,

I agree the 3x2 intake is worth something according to my eBay search. There were intakes listed as Ford that had the same Firing order text cast in.

On the 4-Speed, I think it is a Mustang correct big-block toploader as it has the shifter mount plate at the end of the tailshaft as opposed to the mid-tailshaft mount that Torinos use. I am unfamiliar with the shifter mounting location for Galaxies and Fairlaines.

I was thinking if I can steal the Rig for under $400 I should be able to make some money without ticking the boss off! If it's high priced I'll just let it remain their storage problem.

I'd pull out a few more bucks than you, but not many I'd offer him 400 and be ready to go to 550 or maybe 600-the transmission and the intake are worth that if the rest is not usable.
He offered it to me for less than the $400. It is a 390. I think I'll bite and see what I can do with it. (He'll even deliver it!):cool:

The tag on the transmission might be the best indicator of what the combo came out of.

Check the trans tag

Some 390's had the small in - small out shafts

Purchased, in the garage and for sale! C8AE-H Heads, C8ME Block.

Have not decoded the tranny tag yet.

Tri-power intake is in very good shape!

View attachment 29024

Tranny Tag HEH-CL. Fairlane 390GT, Big Input, 28 -Spline output, Wide ratio.

I wish I had the car to go with the Tranny! Let me know if you know anyone interested.

The 3x2 intake is also an original Ford Tri-Power aluminum big block intake. :cool:

Back