Engine's IN!!! (Birth Video!)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
408 Stroker Engine's in. Fan's are in. A/C's in. Wiring 98% complete. TKO 600 and install new interior next week.

I

C A N ' T

W A I T !!!!!!!!!!

571.6 Hp @ 6000 rpm/599.7 Ft lb @ 4200 rpm @ the flywheel (I just drooled on my keyboard...)

20150710_160443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Big steps, congratulations on getting them done...

I am currently living so far from my projects, that I don't know now if they will ever get done.

I took a weeks vacation time last year to try and finish the engine in my 69 Cougar, and, well, failed. I out smarted my self by getting the correct length, but wrong diameter push rods for the engine. By the time the overnight freight arrived, it was too late, and I had to leave.

I was able to get some header mufflers installed on my 71 Mustang, but even that one didn't get started, and it is a running engine!

Congrats on the progress. Those are some big numbers. What are the particulars on the engine? Chuck

Congrats on the progress. Those are some big numbers. What are the particulars on the engine? Chuck
351 Cleveland Rebuild- Stroked to 408

Sonic Tested, hot tank, bore/hone, square deck, machine lifter bushings, balanced, install Mallory Metal, align bore, align hone, surface/port heads, intake manifold port work, fly cut pistons, radius piston domes.

Rotating Assembly-

King cam bearings, Scat crank & rods (4" stroke), Race Tec pistons- MME Custom geometry (4.030" bore), Race Tec rings & wrist pins

Heads-

Trick Flow PowerPort 190 Aluminum Heads- 195cc intake port/112cc exhaust port, combustion chamber volume- 62cc- profiled, ductile iron exhaust valve seats, manley valves & spring cups, Comp Cams springs/ retainers/ locks, Blue Thunder valve covers.

Valve Train-

Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam- MME Custom ground, brass lifter bushings- MME spec'd drain orifice, Lunati lifters/ roller rockers, Manley Rods

Cam intake duration @ .050= 234 actual

Cam exhaust duration @ .050= 236 actual

Hydraulic Intake/ Exhaust valve- gross lift .588/.600

Induction-

Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold. High rise, dual plane. 1500-6500 rpm. Holley 850 cfm carb w/ manual choke.

Timing-

Comp Cams timing chain, Pioneer thrust plate

Oil System-

Melling pump (standard) springs set up to deliver 80-85 lbs and 25% more volume. (not HIGH Volume or Pressure), Moroso 8qt pan.

Miscellaneous-

Dual Spall 12" Extreme Performance Electric Cooling Fans #30102130 (3168 cfm-combined, 2800 cfm @ .2-.3 static pressure), Painless F5 Dual fan controller, Ford Performance Applications (FPA) headers, Lakewood Bell housing (w/ 164 tooth flywheel), 11" clutch, TKO 600 5 speed manual trans, 3.5 final ratio. SCE gaskets and ARP fasteners. Built by McKeown Motorsport Engineering in Waldorf, MD. Mark, the owner of MME, is world renowned for his work on Ford's Cleveland engine and his development of the first all aluminum Cleveland (Titus Engine) block. (too bad I couldn't afford to go that route)

Dyno #'s- flywheel

Dyno Results- flywheel.PNG

I'd post rebuild/machining pics but I can't seem to figure out a way to upload a "group of pics" at one time here or on my gallery/garage. Seems you have to do it one at a time...

Nice!!! Include video when you start up.
John, how do you post a video?

351 Cleveland Rebuild-

Sonic Tested, hot tank, bore/hone, square deck, machine lifter bushings, balanced, install Mallory Metal, align bore, align hone, surface/port heads, intake manifold port work, fly cut pistons, radius piston domes.

Rotating Assembly-

King cam bearings, Scat crank & rods (4" stroke), Race Tec pistons- MME Custom geometry (4.030" bore), Race Tec rings & wrist pins

Heads-

Trick Flow PowerPort 190 Aluminum Heads- 195cc intake port/112cc exhaust port, combustion chamber volume- 62cc- profiled, ductile iron exhaust valve seats, manley valves & spring cups, Comp Cams springs/ retainers/ locks, Blue Thunder valve covers.

Valve Train-

Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam- MME Custom ground, brass lifter bushings- MME spec'd drain orifice, Lunati lifters/ roller rockers, Manley Rods

Cam intake duration @ .050= 234 actual

Cam exhaust duration @ .050= 236 actual

Hydraulic Intake/ Exhaust valve- gross lift .588/.600

Induction-

Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold. High rise, dual plane. 1500-6500 rpm. Holley 850 cfm carb w/ manual choke.

Timing-

Comp Cams timing chain, Pioneer thrust plate

Oil System-

Melling pump (standard) springs set up to deliver 80-85 lbs and 25% more volume. (not HIGH Volume or Pressure), Moroso 8qt pan.

Miscellaneous-

Dual Spall 12" Extreme Performance Electric Cooling Fans #30102130 (3168 cfm-combined, 2800 cfm @ .2-.3 static pressure), Painless F5 Dual fan controller, Ford Performance Applications (FPA) headers, Lakewood Bell housing (w/ 164 tooth flywheel), 11" clutch, TKO 600 5 speed manual trans, 3.5 final ratio. SCE gaskets and ARP fasteners. Built by McKeown Motorsport Engineering in Waldorf, MD. Mark, the owner of MME, is world renowned for his work on Ford's Cleveland engine and his development of the first all aluminum Cleveland (Titus Engine) block. (too bad I couldn't afford to go that route)

Dyno #'s- flywheel

I'd post rebuild/machining pics but I can't seem to figure out a way to upload a "group of pics" at one time here or on my gallery/garage. Seems you have to do it one at a time...

Nice!!! Include video when you start up.
John, how do you post a video?
I may have just figured it out...this was her first start up, on the dyno rack. Notice no smoke at the valve cover fitting...good sign!

Nice, have you ordered extra rear tires yet... your going to need them

Don

Nice, have you ordered extra rear tires yet... your going to need them

Don
rears don't match the fronts anyway so I plan on "using them up" this summer (if it ever gets done! :shootself: ) and put new one on in the fall...::thumb::

Looks awesome!
thanks Mike!

SWEET!!! ::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

Looks awesome... sounds awesome... which means, it IS awesome! :bravo:

Speaking of Sanden A/C - I installed a Classic Auto Air system, and it did not come with any kind of an idler pulley or anything. Can you explain to me how your system is set up?

I see an idler pulley, in addition to the separate power steering belt/pulleys, and I imagine the alternator is on its own belt as normal.

I have a 3-groove crank pulley as well... just no idler set-up. I'm not totally thrilled with having to use the power steering belt to run the A/C compressor as well (CAA's suggestion), but I will if I have to. If I can find some kind of workable idler pulley, I'll be happy to clean up the 3-groove crank pulley, swap it out, and go from there.

Thanks in advance!

SWEET!!! ::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

Looks awesome... sounds awesome... which means, it IS awesome! :bravo:

Speaking of Sanden A/C - I installed a Classic Auto Air system, and it did not come with any kind of an idler pulley or anything. Can you explain to me how your system is set up?

I see an idler pulley, in addition to the separate power steering belt/pulleys, and I imagine the alternator is on its own belt as normal.

I have a 3-groove crank pulley as well... just no idler set-up. I'm not totally thrilled with having to use the power steering belt to run the A/C compressor as well (CAA's suggestion), but I will if I have to. If I can find some kind of workable idler pulley, I'll be happy to clean up the 3-groove crank pulley, swap it out, and go from there.

Thanks in advance!

E,

Thanks for the compliments!

No idler pulley, stock 2-groove crank pulley...

Picture's worth a thousand words!

E

Belts.jpg

Back