Greetings from Tornado Alley

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whwright

Reaction score
My Car
1972 'vert
Hello from Moore, OK. Cultural center of the universe.

I have a 1972 convertible that I've been "fixing" off-and-on for nearly 20 years. It's hard to believe it's been that long... how time flies. Well, all the kids are grown and gone so this spring I pulled it out of mothballs and got it running (again). To my surprise, it didn't really take a whole lot of work. This afternoon I put a new grill on it (a big thanks to Don at Ohio Mustang). The grill installed super-easy; the only downside is it makes the rest of the car look old.

I'm not exactly sure how to post pictures on this forum, but here goes. Sorry about the quality -- they were taken using an iPad.

1zg96dd.jpg

2dt0tqf.jpg

wqzrso.jpg

I think it's time to break down, fork out the dough, and get a coat of paint put on it. As an OU Sooner grad, I have no other choice but crimson.

I'll probably never "restore" the car -- it will probably always have spotty chrome, dented/bent trim (have you tried to find that "deluxe" molding above the black rockers?), and a hole where the radio should be (couldn't hear a radio anyway).

A little bit of trivia: I played in the high school band with Boss1Ray.

So here's a big shout out to Ray. Hey Ray!

Wayne.

Hello and welcome from France.

In my case I have a radio, but not connected, the sound of the V8 is so beautifull song that I don't need to hear anything else.[/font]

Hi Wayne,

and Welcome from Brisbane, Australia!:)

Why the hesitation?:)

Feel the passion and get stuck into that Baby! I'm going to respray my '73 Vert and get the chrome done at the same time, even though re- chroming the rear bar alone will cost me around $500.00 Australian Dollars.:chin:

PS. - I hope you haven't lost your hearing.:p

Welcome.

Greg.:)

Hello Wayne! Great to hear from you.

And I'm glad you decided to join the forum! I have wondered if you still had your convertible...

-still have my trumpet and coronet but haven't played in 20 years! :(

BTW you are a damn good horn player and I've heard you still play!!!

Ray

Thanks for all the hellos. And I appreciate everyone who said it looks like a nice car. Just don't look too close. Ok?

Ray, I'm still playing the trumpet. I play at church as much as they can stand, and I'm in a "Glenn Miller" style big band that plays every Tuesday at retirement centers and nursing homes as well as local dances, wedding receptions, birthday parties, etc..

Trying to get back on topic... Here's what the interior looks like right now.

10ndqx4.jpg

The only things the interior really needs is black paint on the steering column, a radio, and speakers. I was going to put in a tilt steering column, but I gave up looking for one I could afford. Besides -- the wheel is perfectly situated right where it is. The interior was originally saddle, so I bought new seat covers, cheap belts, carpet, and console; everything else is cleaned/painted originals or used parts from salvage yards and eBay. The steering wheel was from a wrecked truck, and I straightened it using a hydraulic press (the "round" part wasn't bent).

I'm really looking forward to getting back into this car!

Nice ride. I have the same dilemma. OU grad and want to go with Crimson, but I have the ginger interior. I'm not sure about that color combo.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. Got a 4 speed and power windows is it one of the rare CJ cars? I know what you mean about the trim for the black out. I have 73 you just have to strip it buff it and keep on using it. There is no such thing as a complete NOS set.

I need to borrow the door panel clips for PW so I can reproduce them, scarce as hens teeth.

David

Back